Gibson Brands Forums

Your Time Is Gonna Come

Black Dog

That solo was pretty rough relative to Jimmy's usual work IMO. Kinda seemed like he was too high or something

I've never heard this collaboration though, thanks for sharing. I just checked out their cover of Shapes of Things which was pretty cool

That solo was pretty rough relative to Jimmy's usual work IMO.

Firstly, let me state I am a big Led Zeppelin fan in terms of their albums and I loved the Page/ Plant reunion in the 90's. Live however, I don't think they always sounded great. Regarding that video of Your Time is Gonna Come, I don't know man, that solo wasn't too bad compared to the years Page was hooked on heroin and also during the 80's. Have you heard his solos between say 1977-88? Check out this from Led Zep's 1988 reunion. Heartbreaker solo at 2:00 minutes into the video. Yikes is all I can say. If I want to hear Led Zep at their peak live I listen to the BBC Sessions, How the West Was Won or watch the Royal Albert Hall DVD, because most of their later concerts weren't nearly as good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulyxKcVrXwI

The 77 and 80 tours were pretty 'loose' for Jimmy for sure, and especially in 80 Jonesy carried the show for him a lot...but I love listening to bootlegs from both those tours (in fact I've listed to little else for the past couple of weeks). Somehow they still pull me in...

Page has had some really bad live performances for sure. Many times he never should have been on stage or anywhere else for that matter due to alcohol and heroin. The tour with the Crowes was actually pretty good I think. Also, he definitely has a different style of playing that relies less on precision, even when he's sober. There are definitely lot's of guitar players that are technically better than him but being technically great doesn't necessarily mean that you write or perform music that I like.

Anyway, I like the Page - Crowes material. Good stuff in my opinion.

Page has had some really bad live performances for sure. Many times he never should have been on stage or anywhere else for that matter due to alcohol and heroin. The tour with the Crowes was actually pretty good I think. Also, he definitely has a different style of playing that relies less on precision, even when he's sober. There are definitely lot's of guitar players that are technically better than him but being technically great doesn't necessarily mean that you write or perform music that I like.

Anyway, I like the Page - Crowes material. Good stuff in my opinion.

I like the Page/ Black Crowes stuff too and it was good that they included some songs Led Zep didn't play live much. Like yourself, I prefer Page's playing over more technically oriented players, but was just highlighting that the video you posted was pretty good compared to his worst live stuff! His best live work still remains some of my favourite recordings of all time. For example 'I Can't Quit You Baby' from RAH/ Coda is awesome, as is pretty much anything on the BBC Sessions like I mentioned. Some of his later playing was great too (as seen on Unledded and even Celebration Day), it's just a shame the addictions really messed him up for a while.

I like the Page/ Black Crowes stuff too and it was good that they included some songs Led Zep didn't play live much. Like yourself, I prefer Page's playing over more technically oriented players, but was just highlighting that the video you posted was pretty good compared to his worst live stuff! His best live work still remains some of my favourite recordings of all time. For example 'I Can't Quit You Baby' from RAH/ Coda is awesome, as is pretty much anything on the BBC Sessions like I mentioned. Some of his later playing was great too (as seen on Unledded and even Celebration Day), it's just a shame the addictions really messed him up for a while.

I am in complete agreement with you. In my post I was responding to some of the other comments. msp_thumbup.gif

Firstly, let me state I am a big Led Zeppelin fan in terms of their albums and I loved the Page/ Plant reunion in the 90's. Live however, I don't think they always sounded great. Regarding that video of Your Time is Gonna Come, I don't know man, that solo wasn't too bad compared to the years Page was hooked on heroin and also during the 80's. Have you heard his solos between say 1977-88? Check out this from Led Zep's 1988 reunion. Heartbreaker solo at 2:00 minutes into the video. Yikes is all I can say. If I want to hear Led Zep at their peak live I listen to the BBC Sessions, How the West Was Won or watch the Royal Albert Hall DVD, because most of their later concerts weren't nearly as good.

When Page is "on" I really love his playing. That seems to mostly be in the studio though. When he could concentrate and come up with some brilliant phasing and overdub a lot of really creative and appropriate fills for the song. Live, he just seems so caught up in the moment that what little chops he has go right out the window. And we end up with something like this, where it literally sounds like one of the satirical "shreds" videos. [unsure]

When Page is "on" I really love his playing. That seems to mostly be in the studio though. When he could concentrate and come up with some brilliant phasing and overdub a lot of really creative and appropriate fills for the song. Live, he just seems so caught up in the moment that what little chops he has go right out the window. And we end up with something like this, where it literally sounds like one of the satirical "shreds" videos. [unsure]

That's what I was thinking too. Everyone knows Page's style is "loose" but this is a lot worse than loose.

Well, if your starting point is loose, an abundance of chemicals is gonna be the quick road to sloppy town isn't it? Painful to watch those performances since I loved those records so much as a kid.

Archived