Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-45 rattling noise next to the bridge

Hi there,

as it says in the tiles my new 2016? i think Gibson J-45 has rattling noise next to the bridge.

I got exactly that (or a 2016 model, i donno):

https://www.thomann.de/at/gibson_j45_standard_vs.htm?ref=search_rslt_j-45_228796_2

Rattling noise with the guitar in general mostly only happens only when i play The E and A String, the rattling noise only ocurrs when i play these fets:

Dy3jgHc.png

When 1 Play the F fret, it doesn't rattle, when 1 press it very hard. the harder i press, the less there is this rattling noise

I am not joking, saying that I know this could be due to the string being to close to the fretboard. but it surely doesn't look like that.

To my ears this strange sound is located more or less exactly here, or somewhere under it:

SjsxmNc.png

It sounds/seems like these frequencies set something in motion, that resonates inside or close outside, can't say for sure.

I went to take a picture of the guitar's inside, hoping there was something there. Does everything look normal to your eyes?

AEVhDBD.jpg

eWIZNDb.png

And by the way, what is this second hole, that I marked yellow?

The silver clipper that holds the wire seems loose to me?!? Am I right?

It really seems the sound comes eather from something that is resonating or directly from the saddle.

Did anybody experience the same issues?

The guitar is as it came, being new from the seller.

Thanks for helping, I wonder if there us somebody which can tell me what's going on. Thanks a lot

ilots

Hi ilots, buzzes and rattles can be tricky to track down but here is what I recommend; secure anything loose inside the guitar such as the wire clip in your photos. Next you have to isolate the ends. Put a capo at the first fret, is the rattle gone? Then it's something at the nut. If the rattle is still there, take off the capo and try pushing on the saddle while trying to recreate the noise still there? Then most likely a high fret.

Hope this helps. Welcome here. Odd it is, but I live on the sun as well. Which hemisphere are you in? Maybe we could meet for coffee and a doughnut sometime.

As for the holes they are just alignment holes.

could be the wire clip..

what pickup is that? is there a control plate under the sound board near the hole?

If so.. Try putting your finger on the volume and or blend controls. Those can vibrate when certain notes are struck hard.

• 1 month later...

Hey there,

Thanks everybody for the replies.

It's either a fret or the nut or the cables inside under the saddle. (i still tend to think it comes from loose cable or so under the saddle)

I will repair the clip, or add a new one.

This is the second model that i got btw.

The first one - a 2017 model also - was an overall catastrophe and it had a lot of issues out of the box (chip of wood missing in the fretboard, horrible paintjob etc.)

It also had the same rattle, more dominant, but still.

But it now the second 2017 J-45 has the same rattle on the first frets of the string.

So maybe it's a stock issue?

I am using the J-45 just as it is, when it came out of the box.

But maybe I have to take it to a Guitar guy. I love the guitar a lot, but when I discovered the rattling noise playing an F powerchord, I was disappointed for sure. Expected a bit more for that sum of money, but anyway.

Live long and prosper

ilots

@ aliasphobias I live in Austria, so it's a long way to the sun ;)

• 3 years later...

I ordered a Gibson J45 from Sweetwater. After playing for around a couple hours, I noticed a buzzing sound. It didn't sound like a fret buzz. After picking the G string open several times, I noticed the sound inside the body around the bridge. After further inspection it was the nut behind the jack/strap button. I unscrewed the button off the jack and tighten the nut. Solved the problem.

50 minutes ago, Jason5 said:

I ordered a Gibson J45 from Sweetwater. After playing for around a couple hours, I noticed a buzzing sound. It didn't sound like a fret buzz. After picking the G string open several times, I noticed the sound inside the body around the bridge. After further inspection it was the nut behind the jack/strap button. I unscrewed the button off the jack and tighten the nut. Solved the problem.

Someone else had the same issue a couple weeks ago.

• 1 month later...