Gibson Brands Forums

Multimeter suggestions

brad1

I'm in need of a new multimeter. I haven't bought one in a long time and was wondering what might be some good ones to consider. Perhaps they are all the same, I have no idea really. That's exactly why I have come to the experts. I don't do any major electronic stuff. I just check resistance in my pickups and simple stuff like that. I would just be using with my guitar.

I was thinking about getting the one Stew Mac sells. Below is the link.

I appreciate any help. Thanks!! :)

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Tools_for_Measuring/Fieldpiece_Digital_Pocket_Multimeter.html

I'm old and like Joe Walsh, an analog man!

You can buy small analog meters for under ten dollars which should be more than enough for guitar work. The nice thing about an analog is you can check your capacitors to see if they are...um...capacitating! A digital meter does not react fast enough to check a capacitor. It won't measure the capacitance but you can see if they are actually working.

Just my opinion [smile]

I'm old and like Joe Walsh, an analog man!

You can buy small analog meters for under ten dollars which should be more than enough for guitar work. The nice thing about an analog is you can check your capacitors to see if they are...um...capacitating! A digital meter does not react fast enough to check a capacitor. It won't measure the capacitance but you can see if they are actually working.

Just my opinion [smile]

There are 2 ways you could check a capacitor with the $5 digital multimeter that I suggested

One is by using the same method you described, which can be done on a digital or analog meter. The difference is that instead of the needle moving up, a working capacitor will make a digital multimeter flash some numbers for a second before reverting to OL.

You could also set the multimeter to measure DC volts, where you can then charge up DC on the cap, remove it from the power supply, and test to see if it holds a charge (which will disappear quickly)

Of course if you have a nicer DMM you can measure capacitance but even these usually won't measure capacitors in a range that will be particularly useful for the OP

So for me, I would just buy the $5 DMM. It's cheap, does everything the OP needs and more, and the display is easier to read.

I got an AstroAl. It was only 12 bucks and it does a lot of things, including checking capacitors.

I just wanted to pass on that if anyone else is in need of, this thing is pretty nice.

It is built very well. It comes with instructions, and they even included the 9 volt battery. :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ISAMUA6/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

IMG_0205.jpg

Archived