Gibson Brands Forums: 1958 historic reissue plaintop vos lemonburst - Gibson Brands Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1958 historic reissue plaintop vos lemonburst scratches and scuffs

#1 User is offline   hoross 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:55 PM

I received 3 months ago finally my first 1958 historic reissue plaintop vos lemonburst.
The only thing im wondering is it normal that the guitar got scratches and scuffs on the body and back ?
Besides that i need to say i had many Gibsons in my life studio,traditional,standard,classic,classic antique but that one is the top of all you cant beat a custom
shop the sound is really awesome ........

#2 User is offline   pippy 

• LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:50 PM

View Posthoross, on 19 July 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

I received 3 months ago finally my first 1958 historic reissue...I'm wondering is it normal that the guitar got scratches and scuffs on the body and back ?

Yes.
All brand new Gibson guitars - especially the expensive ones - are deliberately trashed at the factory by a team of dedicated hooligans before delivery to dealerships.

Pip.

#3 User is offline   Tengri 

• LocationCologne, Germany

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:19 AM

yes,

I bought myself a 59´ Reissue Std Historic VOS and I was wondering too.
But after several questions to the Custom Shop / Gibson Service I received following answer:

The spirit of VOS is to give the appearance of an old guitar that has been fairly well maintained for 50+ years (57 years in this case) without lacquer cracks.
VOS is supposed to look dull, and some guitars may have dings, dents, or scratches. Each guitar is done by human hands, one-at-a-time, so they will all vary in their ‘aged’ appearance and ‘wear’.
*1959 - Gibson Les Paul Standard Historic Sunrise Tea Burst
*1963 - Gibson ES-335 Lightly Aged Faded Cherry

People all over the world have problems. And as long as people have problems, the blues can never die - B.B. King

#4 User is offline   Farnsbarns 

• Antelope
  • LocationGodstone, Surrey, England

Posted 02 February 2018 - 05:20 AM

View PostTengri, on 01 February 2018 - 09:19 AM, said:

yes,

I bought myself a 59´ Reissue Std Historic VOS and I was wondering too.
But after several questions to the Custom Shop / Gibson Service I received following answer:

The spirit of VOS is to give the appearance of an old guitar that has been fairly well maintained for 50+ years (57 years in this case) without lacquer cracks.
VOS is supposed to look dull, and some guitars may have dings, dents, or scratches. Each guitar is done by human hands, one-at-a-time, so they will all vary in their ‘aged’ appearance and ‘wear’.

Bollocks. VOS includes no deliberate scratches or dents, they simply use a harder lacquer and omit the final polishing stage, then they add some snotty crud to the nickel which promotes oxidisation. If they want to give dealers a break and say the dent them that's one thing but 6 or 7 years ago they were into describing the vos thing in detail and went to great pains to describe it as a dull/old looking finish with no damage.
I'm not drunk, you're blurry.

Farns

#5 User is offline   'Scales 

• Lurking at the threshold
  • Locationpeace

Posted 02 February 2018 - 05:27 AM

Perhaps the service rep wasn't sure, googled it, and found Pippy's explanation.
we had longer ways to go, but no matter, the road is life.

#6 User is offline   ChristopherJ 

• Advanced Member

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:37 AM

View Posthoross, on 19 July 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

I received 3 months ago finally my first 1958 historic reissue plaintop vos lemonburst.
The only thing im wondering is it normal that the guitar got scratches and scuffs on the body and back ?
Besides that i need to say i had many Gibsons in my life studio,traditional,standard,classic,classic antique but that one is the top of all you cant beat a custom
shop the sound is really awesome ........

No, it isn't normal at all. I had the same sort of reply when I complained about an R8 I ended up returning. Except mine was a botched neck binding and finish job they tried to pass off as a VOS feature.

...and sorry but my $760 Les Paul Tribute easily beats that Custom Shop specimen in every way.

#7 User is offline   ChristopherJ 

• Advanced Member

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:39 AM

View Post'Scales, on 02 February 2018 - 05:27 AM, said:

Perhaps the service rep wasn't sure, googled it, and found Pippy's explanation.

I doubt very much that the Gibson rep didn't know what he was talking about. They were shining you on...

#8 User is offline   huawannabee 

Posted 26 November 2018 - 12:54 PM

Why even bother asking Gibson about their guitars? Just go on enough forums and you are sure to find the answer you desire. Just sayin...

#9 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Did A Vehicle Come From Somewhere Out There
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 26 November 2018 - 01:47 PM

View Postpippy, on 19 July 2017 - 03:50 PM, said:

Yes.
All brand new Gibson guitars - especially the expensive ones - are deliberately trashed at the factory by a team of dedicated hooligans before delivery to dealerships.

Pip.

I'm glad had no liquid in my mouth when I read that, or my monitor would be covered.

#10 User is offline   01GT eibach 

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 December 2018 - 01:01 AM

View Postpippy, on 19 July 2017 - 03:50 PM, said:

Yes. All brand new Gibson guitars - especially the expensive ones - are deliberately trashed at the factory by a team of dedicated hooligans before delivery to dealerships.

The irony is that this answer that was meant to be funny is ACTUALLY what is done.
"Laughing out loud with fear and hope, I have a desperate plan..."

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users