Gibson Brands Forums

1958 historic reissue plaintop vos lemonburst

hoross

I received 3 months ago finally my first 1958 historic reissue plaintop vos lemonburst.

The only thing im wondering is it normal that the guitar got scratches and scuffs on the body and back ?

Besides that i need to say i had many Gibsons in my life studio,traditional,standard,classic,classic antique but that one is the top of all you cant beat a custom

shop the sound is really awesome ........

I received 3 months ago finally my first 1958 historic reissue...I'm wondering is it normal that the guitar got scratches and scuffs on the body and back ?

Yes.

All brand new Gibson guitars - especially the expensive ones - are deliberately trashed at the factory by a team of dedicated hooligans before delivery to dealerships.

Pip.

• 6 months later...

yes,

I bought myself a 59´ Reissue Std Historic VOS and I was wondering too.

But after several questions to the Custom Shop / Gibson Service I received following answer:

The spirit of VOS is to give the appearance of an old guitar that has been fairly well maintained for 50+ years (57 years in this case) without lacquer cracks.

VOS is supposed to look dull, and some guitars may have dings, dents, or scratches. Each guitar is done by human hands, one-at-a-time, so they will all vary in their ‘aged’ appearance and ‘wear’.

Guest Farnsbarns

yes,

I bought myself a 59´ Reissue Std Historic VOS and I was wondering too.

But after several questions to the Custom Shop / Gibson Service I received following answer:

The spirit of VOS is to give the appearance of an old guitar that has been fairly well maintained for 50+ years (57 years in this case) without lacquer cracks.

VOS is supposed to look dull, and some guitars may have dings, dents, or scratches. Each guitar is done by human hands, one-at-a-time, so they will all vary in their ‘aged’ appearance and ‘wear’.

Bollocks. VOS includes no deliberate scratches or dents, they simply use a harder lacquer and omit the final polishing stage, then they add some snotty crud to the nickel which promotes oxidisation. If they want to give dealers a break and say the dent them that's one thing but 6 or 7 years ago they were into describing the vos thing in detail and went to great pains to describe it as a dull/old looking finish with no damage.

I received 3 months ago finally my first 1958 historic reissue plaintop vos lemonburst.

The only thing im wondering is it normal that the guitar got scratches and scuffs on the body and back ?

Besides that i need to say i had many Gibsons in my life studio,traditional,standard,classic,classic antique but that one is the top of all you cant beat a custom

shop the sound is really awesome ........

No, it isn't normal at all. I had the same sort of reply when I complained about an R8 I ended up returning. Except mine was a botched neck binding and finish job they tried to pass off as a VOS feature.

...and sorry but my $760 Les Paul Tribute easily beats that Custom Shop specimen in every way.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes. All brand new Gibson guitars - especially the expensive ones - are deliberately trashed at the factory by a team of dedicated hooligans before delivery to dealerships.

The irony is that this answer that was meant to be funny is ACTUALLY what is done.

• 1 month later...

Archived