Gibson Brands Forums

To see or not to see?

Retired

The wife is deciding if she wants to see Paul McCartney one last time or not. He's coming to Omaha this Sunday at the Centry Link and they can't sell all of the tickets. We would decline if we had to pay hundreds of dollars for a seat as we've both seen him and Linda at Ames Iowa decades back. That was a superb concert we will never forget. However, these tickets are in the nose bleed looking straight at the stage in back of the auditorium and there $75.00 apiece. What would you do she wants to know? She loves the Beatles and only Paul and Ringo are left so this could be the last opportunity to see Paul.

Well bring your opera glasses and go see them. The band he has now is much better (IMHO) than Wings was and they do more of the old Beatles tunes so like you say may be a last chance to see that stuff live by one of the original members. Sir Paul has got to be in his seventies by now so not sure how long the pipes will last and how long he will keep touring. Make the bride happy. :rolleyes:

last time we went to see him, we were also behind the stage some what and about a mile up.. the sound was meh...,, we missed the visuals that was behind the stage... from ppl we know who got to see that, we missed about half of "the show" part of the show. Given then chance to do that again, no thanks.. I'd pass............

We've been in the Centry Link several times before. Omaha actually is small compared to many cities and the auditorium isn't really that big. Sitting at the top you can see the entire stage. Being near sighted I won't be able to see his face or the band members faces but Deb is far sighted and would be able to see better then me. This is mostly about her as she's the Beatle Maniac so I'd just be going along to listen to the music. She's more concerned about would the music be worse then when we saw him with Linda? They do have screens up so the people in the back can see better at these concerts. I'm fine with the screens.

It's a great show.

He's got a great band with him that really loves playing these songs. Aside from the ones he's gotta play like Hey Jude and Let It Be the set list is always changing.

Personally I never thought I'd get to hear him sing 1985 or Ram On live but sure enough I did.

His voice is hit and miss anymore but soon enough our legends will be gone and it will be all Bieber and Beyonce. UGH!

I've seen him in Columbus, Boston and Pittsburgh twice and I'd go again if he came around.

Thank you for your comments, I'm thinking for the price, why not? I already told her lets go but she was doubting. So I thought about getting everyone's opinion and feed that back to her. She smiled with the first 3 comments. Thanks guys, msp_thumbup.gif thanks Cookie, that's the 2nd response He has a great band with him. She loved those responses.

Go. What a stroke of luck.

You may not have the opportunity to make the decision for or against ever again, plus the tickets are dirt cheap.

I'd love to see McCartney and hear him sing and play Beatles songs. The band and show are top-notch from what I read.

Best wishes!

Ok, since it was getting late and you guys helped talk her into it about how great the band was touring with him which I relayed to her, she called in for 2 tickets. Looks like we're seeing Sir Paul McCartney this Sunday evening. Besides, how often will he ever visit a small city like Omaha Nebraska ever again. In fact I think this is his first one. So thanks guys for your responses. msp_thumbup.gif

It's funny for most of my concert going life, it was me and my younger brother, who's 7 years my junior. He finally settled down and got married 5 years ago and now leads a hectic life with his younger wife and 2 kids.

It was then that my wife started going to concerts with me and we haven't stopped yet. She always found the shows too loud and the crowds a little overwhelming but since she discovered a little thing called ear plugs she's really enjoyed being my concert partner.

In the last few years we've seen Steve Miller, Todd Rundgren, Joe Walsh, Billy Joel, Bad Company, Clapton and McCartney among others.

It's been cool turning her on to live music although with the overpriced tickets of today we don't see as many as we used to.

Have a great time!

Well, at the end of the day it's entirely up to you if your a fan of his. What you must keep in mind is that you won't have the opportunity for ever.

$75 seems a very cheap ticket price for a major artist, you would pay far more than that here in the U.K to see any high calibre act.

If you fancy it, go for it, you only live once.

Ian

1500723471[/url]' post='1870263']

It's funny for most of my concert going life, it was me and my younger brother, who's 7 years my junior. He finally settled down and got married 5 years ago and now leads a hectic life with his younger wife and 2 kids.

It was then that my wife started going to concerts with me and we haven't stopped yet. She always found the shows too loud and the crowds a little overwhelming but since she discovered a little thing called ear plugs she's really enjoyed being my concert partner.

In the last few years we've seen Steve Miller, Todd Rundgren, Joe Walsh, Billy Joel, Bad Company, Clapton and McCartney among others.

It's been cool turning her on to live music although with the overpriced tickets of today we don't see as many as we used to.

Have a great time!

Too funny. With us it was the other way around. Before we married she had seen lots of great concerts. I went to a few Christian concerts. The first one I went with her was FleetWood Mac. I hated it. It was way too loud, seemed like the whole audience was smoking dope. We were up high and I got sick smelling it. Even Deb admitted the band seemed high as they were off a bit. Then we saw lots of other groups, way too many to mention and she wanted to see Fleetwood again. I admit they were very good that time and no drugs. Actually I never suggest to see a concert, she always wants me to go to one with her. I was impressed with Paul and Linda at Ames Iowa way back when I worked 2nd shift at Union Pacific. That was the best concert I've seen until she bought tickets for Pink Floyd's The Wall concert. That was for our Anniversary present and I know she doesn't really like Pink Floyd. I do. That was my best concert ever with the music and the laser show. She even admitted it was the best visual graphics show she ever been to. I'll have to take some ear plugs too as I have doctors orders not to attend any more concerts to save what hearing I have left.

If your ticket says 8 he will not start until between 8:30 and 8:40...they show film and pictures of him and play a mix with his songs done differently at least thats how it has been going for the last 4 to five years,with a little variation but not much. Live and Let Die is always a treat live you need to see it. Have fun..I will be seeing him for a 23rd and 24th time in Detroit in Oct.

1500774164[/url]' post='1870429']

If your ticket says 8 he will not start until between 8:30 and 8:40...they show film and pictures of him and play a mix with his songs done differently at least thats how it has been going for the last 4 to five years,with a little variation but not much. Live and Let Die is always a treat live you need to see it. Have fun..I will be seeing him for a 23rd and 24th time in Detroit in Oct.

Really? Yes, we have 8:00 pm show. That's all right though, at least we won't be sitting there bored as long as they show video and stuff. It's probably been close to 30 years ago since we saw him last. Can hardly wait. I'll post our comments after the show probably Monday. We're not taking any cameras.

Really? Yes, we have 8:00 pm show. That's all right though, at least we won't be sitting there bored as long as they show video and stuff. It's probably been close to 30 years ago since we saw him last. Can hardly wait. I'll post our comments after the show probably Monday. We're not taking any cameras.

Oh I am always in my seat by then but I thought it might come in handy some people run late sometimes. I am looking forward to it since it has been two years for me. I had just went a stretch of seeing him every year for 7 in a row.

1500789383[/url]' post='1870455']

Oh I am always in my seat by then but I thought it might come in handy some people run late sometimes. I am looking forward to it since it has been two years for me. I had just went a stretch of seeing him every year for 7 in a row.

It was excellent and everything you said Was! He showed about 40 minutes after 8:00 pm. The audience stood about 20 minutes or better waiting. The band was excellent as you said. Deb looked them up as Paul never introduced them and most have been with him for 14 years. Paul started off on his bass and then played a Gibson LP that was beautiful. Orange with custom paint splattered all over it. Then another 6 string acoustic and I've never seen him play 6 string guitars that much. Then on the piano. They played about 3 songs off his new album and other songs I've never heard before. Of course then a bunch of Beatles songs. I liked his two guitarists up front and the drummer was superb as well as the keyboardist. Most songs were pleasant to listen to with my hearing aids in but they did get too darn loud with a few. So I turned them off and stuck ear plugs in on those. Loved looking at the different guitars they used but we were too far back to see the headstocks. Looked like a Gretsch, a very nice Jaguar and a Strat and tell. A couple of Les Paul's. When we picked up the tickets we were surprised. Thought we were going to be up high? We were way down on the bottom tier 20 rows up from the main floor or only 19 seats below us in the back. Someone must not of been able to come and sold their tickets to Ticket Master. Deb happened to pick up those tickets and they were $168.00 per seat. No one bought them so we got those 2 seats for $75.00 apiece. We had a great view and she loved the Live and Let Die song the best. Fire shot up all the way across the stage and in back of the band up 20 feet with explosions and fire works and lasers and at the end Paul motioned his hearing was shot, couldn't hear a thing. Lol, what did they expect? I at least had my ear plugs in! We're glad we went and it's worth going to.

1500943674[/url]' post='1870870']

How was Paul's voice holding up?

I don't know? He sounded fine to me really. He still sounds like Paul but just not a spring chicken like in the Beatles. Most everyone's voice changes as you age. I do love that British accent though.

Archived