Gibson Brands Forums

What 12 fret models has Gibson made?

theflyingturtle

I just spent a few days in the California redwoods with my family. It was my daughter's first time visiting there and we had a great time. I took my beater 12 fret guitar for fun. On the last day we visited an enormous redwood grove. I sat on a burl/root thing and played my guitar and sang while my wife played in the creek with my daughter. It was lovely. On the drive back home I started thinking seriously about how much I like 12 fret guitars. I know there have been some 12 fret Gibsons. I think the Jackson Browne model is a 12 and I have seen AJs and J-45s in 12 frets but are there any vintage models with 12 frets? I think there was a "L" model that had 12 frets for a year?

I think my '31 12 fretter (pictured) is designated L0, but they have always been interchangeable with the L00. 30's era L1, L2 maybe as well. Body is identical to my 4 year older L00, but the lower soundhole positioning and all mahog parts gives it a different feel and sound.

I think my '31 12 fretter (pictured) is designated L0, but they have always been interchangeable with the L00. 30's era L1, L2 maybe as well. Body is identical to my 4 year older L00, but the lower soundhole positioning and all mahog parts gives it a different feel and sound.

So, this confuses me. Were these 12 fret guitars regular production models or custom requests that Gibson made available upon request?

So, this confuses me. Were these 12 fret guitars regular production models or custom requests that Gibson made available upon request?

They were all 12-fret until about 1933. After I think only the Hawaiian, classicals, and the mid-60s F models were until modern times.

The Jackson Browne model was disappointing to me, as the only thing (slightly) greater about it's neck profile was the nut width, 1.805". VERY soft v. It would probably work for you. The contemporary Stage Deluxe Rosewood model has a neck that is more substantial, but still quite manageable by modern standards. Bear in mind, however, a deeper body with very little taper.

Edit: Sorry, re-read original post; you're mostly interested in the older stuff?

The Jackson Browne model was disappointing to me, as the only thing (slightly) greater about it's neck profile was the nut width, 1.805". VERY soft v. It would probably work for you. The contemporary Stage Deluxe Rosewood model has a neck that is more substantial, but still quite manageable by modern standards. Bear in mind, however, a deeper body with very little taper.

Edit: Sorry, re-read original post; you're mostly interested in the older stuff?

No, thanks for sharing. I am glead to hear I'm not the only one that didn't care for the JB. On paper it was perfect on paper but in real life it just wasn't a flavor I liked.

After about 1933, most all of the golden era 12-fret flat tops were converted Hawaiian. Here are ours from that period.

Xxrok4y.jpg

The Gibsons are a Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe, a Roy Smeck Radio Grande, a HG-00 and a HG-Century. The Martins are a 00-40H and three 00-18Hs.

In this general pictures of our old Gibsons, in addition to the 14-fret and the Hawaiian conversions in the picture above, you can see a couple of early 12-fret flat tops -- a 1925 (far left) L-1 and a 1931 L-2 (2nd on the right).

JxFFpSg.jpg

12 frets was the rule before 1929 when Martin introduced the 14-fret OM. Here is a picture of three guitars I got from Norman Blake in 2005. In addition to the 34 00-40H Martin shown earlier, there is a 1895 Almctantz and a late 1920s Larson Brothers. Note that Almcrantz is a 12-fret dread sized guitar build 20 years before Martin did any such thing.

PcE49He.jpg

Let's pick,

-Tom

Archived