Gibson Brands Forums

BurstDriver??

iluvcrap2000

well clikced a link to see an ad, https://www.themusiczoo.com/blogs/news/gibson-custom-shop-july-2017-limited-runs-release-7

a few boring goldtops, a murphy aged, and what? a Burstdriver??

Tell me more....

oh, here we go

http://www.gibson.com/products/electric-guitars/2017/custom/burstdriver%E2%84%A2-les-paul-standard-lightly-figured.aspx

Interesting.. First ive heard of it..

Basically seems like a built in distortion pedal

A Custom Shop Les Paul Standard exhibits the finest in materials, construction and historical accuracy, making it one of the best sounding and playing electric guitars on the planet. Additionally, the innovative new Gibson Custom Burstdriver provides players built-in sonic expansion capabilities. Essentially a high-end analog overdrive pedal built into the backplate of the guitar, the Burstdriver is engaged with a quick tap of the push/push tone knob. A simple twist can transform the dry signal into anything from a fat clean boost to a warm, thick overdrive all the way to a snarling distortion. The effect is entirely true bypass and the level, tone, and gain controls can be adjusted using a guitar pick. The Gibson Custom Burstdriver Les Paul Standard is your new secret sonic weapon!

Pi7kuqC.jpg

E34AFjG.jpg

Built in effects... Is it 1985 again? :)

Looks and sounds similar to the Hamer and Blade analog active boost pre-amp from the late 80s early 90s. I think its a good addition to improve the on-board effect platform presently used. The active boost offered will be improved by this imho.

• 2 weeks later...

The real question is how is it powered? Yet another 9 volt or other battery to discharge and quit in the middle of a set? Or do you have to plug the guitar in at night with a wall charger to let it charge? I think if I was wanting a Les Paul and overdrive, I could buy a much less expensive Les Paul Standard and a REALLY nice amp AND Overdrive pedal for $5600 or 5700.00!

I've never been a gimmicky kind of person. I seem to remember some Electra guitars in the early 80's that had effects modules you could plug into the back. I had the Electra Working Man. I think it was the MFC or something like that which had the effects modules.

The lead guitarist (Mike Chapman), in one of my favorite, regionally famous, "Live" bands, back in the mid-1960's

(The Blue Things), had a built in "Fuzz/Distortion" in his Danelectro Guitarlin! It was the first built in Distortion,

in a guitar, I had ever seen. In fact distortion pedals were "rare" compared to these days. Maestro Fuzz, Vox Tone Bender,

Big Muff, and Dunlop/Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face, were the more popular. I believe Mike's was based on the Maestro circuit.

Anyway, it sounded great (at least, for the time). And, he didn't have to be in any particular place, on stage, to engage it.

Other than that, I'm not sure of any other advantage. :-k

CB

If memory serves me correctly didn't Frank Zappa do that to his guitars? That being said, these will stack nicely on top of the robot self-tuning guitars when we need some heat this winter. Henry sure like to "green light" engineered obsolescence. I think it just devalues the Gibson brand. The people making Gibson guitars, especially acoustics, are now making guitars that are probably as good as Gibson has ever made but the leadership seems to think we're all stupid and need to be sold stupid ideas. I haven't see a line form at the music store yet and to be honest... That "Gibson" on the headstock is starting to look a little embarrassing. I'm not saying this to tick anyone off, it's how I genuinely feel about Gibson when I see this kind of thing become almost an annual event. I've been shopping for a LP all summer but things like this sour me on Gibson's electrics. I wish it didn't.

It (almost) feels like they are trying to figure out a way to stay "relevant," and/or up with the tech stuff,

yet, indications are, and have been for some time, that their relevancy is in their tried and true traditions,

and not in the "tech stuff," at least in the guitar arena. IF they do, indeed, have a "surplus" of CS guitars,

that might indicate they've gone well above, the pricing, that would allow for that surplus not to exist? Just

a guess. IMHO, it's OK to be "precious" about your brand! But, not at the expense of not being able to sell

all that you produce. Traditional models or otherwise. [tongue][unsure]

CB

Typos courtesy of my phone... Gibson crafts great guitars bottom line. Maybe more expensive for great guitar than others, but they are collectible on top of sounding generally distinct. They are big company and have to make big money to survive, so what direction do companies go when they focus on profits... Point is can you blame them for trying? Maybe all their ideas aren't genius, but how many of us collectors and/or players out there have several Gibson guitars and can identify a Gibson by the tone a guitar gives off... All I know now is if I buy a Gibson, damn near every time, I have a reliable, great sounding guitar in my hands. Not being fanboy here but I wouldn't think Gibson is going down the tubes because of some incorporated electronic feature... Not all their guitars are all tech incorporated; conventional, standard models are still produced. I think people already know these standards and traditionals are there, so Gibson is trying to reach out to other players I would imagine.

People were mentioning some $5700 for a distortion effect being integrated into it, so that's a con when buying new... That's a lot of money! Best Buy it used for less from someone who spent $5700 is selling this to you... Try it out, might be good or bad, but needs to be damn good for $5700 new! Sure out of my price range for a guitar.

Either way, a Gibson Les Paul is a solid guitar, has been, and probably will always have great time-tested instruments for many years to come as they are veterans in the game of selling guitars. They will find your price where they get these guitars sold and profit in the end.

His conducting involved a small charge...

Are you the grandson of old Vinnie "Van de Graff" Evans? Self-styled 'Custodian of Tickets and Farthings' on the 176 to Penge?

Well, that came as quite a shock!

Pip

I just saw the latest Custom Shop Eric Clapton Strat sells for $5,100.

How can anyone justify spending $5,100 on a CNC'd flat top bolt on? Much less one with an analog booster circuit?

I agree its very overpriced, but CNC is used everywhere other than little workshops. Personally, I dont want to pay someone to take a couple of days to shape a body that can be done more accurately by CNC in a few minutes.

I agree its very overpriced, but CNC is used everywhere other than little workshops. Personally, I dont want to pay someone to take a couple of days to shape a body that can be done more accurately by CNC in a few minutes.

That's what I'm getting at. I don't have a problem with CNC. Gibson uses CNC on their custom shop models as well. But the top carve is finished by hand.

That's what I'm getting at. I don't have a problem with CNC. Gibson uses CNC on their custom shop models as well. But the top carve is finished by hand.

That top carve finish is unlikely to change as long as they use CNC. 3D surfaces are likely pick-fed with ball nose cutters. The end shape will be ok, but will have machining track marks all over it. Hand finishing is to be expected.

Gibson has too many odd ball models, and most are overpriced. Wish they'd roll all the advancements/upgrades into a new model line and go with that and drop the odd ball limited run offerings.

I mostly agree, but 2 voices in the wilderness are not much better than one.

The overall majority of Gibson buyers don't like change.

The USA HP line is as close too a new model line as they can get away with.

Archived