Gibson Brands Forums

Well......guess you knew it was coming......

Buc McMaster

Oooooh nice!!! Love the three piece back! Is that an 8 series? I'm not tremendously familiar with the Taylor nomenclature. Lovely looking guitar though. I've never played a Taylor I've disliked, and 15yrs or so ago I very nearly bought a humble 214 which sounded gorgeous and played like butter, but I've never taken one home.

Looks like a 615ce to me. Excellent guitar, nothing wrong with Taylor's I really like them.

Look like a late model (or BTO model) 618ce to me. Grand Orchestra body... the jumbo. Gorgeous flame Buck! The new models have that "brown sugar" stain applied to the maple. It is pretty but it is also nice to see the clear, white maple flame!

It's an NOS 2009 615CE with an apparently rare 3-piece back. The model is discontinued and this one hung around for eight years, waiting for me, it seems. I traded the Hummingbird. I fine guitar and the best player I've ever owned but when stacked up against the J-45.......no contest for tone. After playing the 45 the Hummingbird sounded like it was full of socks.......until I got the 45 dialed in that mellow sound suited me fine........but no longer. I'm not sentimental about guitars so it was no big deal to turn the Hummingbird loose.......it was riding the case anyway. So why the Taylor......?

Playing open mics, it has been hit & miss getting a good tone working quickly with the K&K onboard the 45 (and the Hummingbird too). It's a great pickup but all soundboard transducers need tonal tweaking that time generally doesn't allow in an open mic, get-up-and-get-going situation. There's been times when the K&K was spectacular and others when it was barely tolerable. I decided I wanted something with a good onboard system, a good plug & play instrument for simplifying open mic performances. Taylors fit that bill. I also wanted something completely different from the 45.......a big maple jumbo fits that bill. I didn't want to spend a lot of money in doing a trade either.......got very good value for the Hummingbird and am to this point quite happy with the deal.

So call me crazy, and maybe I am, but it's just another detour on the musical journey......a calculated effort to make stage life a little easier. The 45 is the guitar and if things work out down the road as I plan, it will be the stage guitar plugged into my own rig that is dialed and setup for this guitar..........direct, personal control over amplification.

So you got a well designed, well made, reliable, and safe big guitar. Nothing wrong with that, but makes me wonder, do you happen to drive a Volvo?

Just teasing... [biggrin]

That's a beautiful guitar and I'm looking forward to hear you on it.

Lars

Looks like a nice piece of wood on the back!

I can't wait to hear it as I imagine it would sound very direct and bright - ready to slice through the open mic crowd! (Before you drive home in that Volvo ha ha, thanks Lars.....) :mellow:

BluesKing777.

Nice, Buc.

Years ago I almost bought a small Taylor cutaway. I don't know/remember the model, but it had a cedar top, superb action and was a total BLAST to just rip it up in the music store.

I wonder if it's still there?

Hmmmm.

I know your feelings Buc.

I've always felt that plugged in, the Taylors are great. It's unplugged where I have issues with them but I think their new 900 series have overcome that. I keep an 814CE around for that reason.

I did by a Martin Performing Artist series OM and the electronics on it are second to none. If you get bored with the Taylor, check one out.

Archived