Gibson Brands Forums

The Gibson Burstdriver Standard

Rabs

This was posted in the LP section but I thought it needed more attention :)

A Custom Shop Les Paul Standard exhibits the finest in materials, construction and historical accuracy, making it one of the best sounding and playing electric guitars on the planet. Additionally, the innovative new Gibson Custom Burstdriver provides players built-in sonic expansion capabilities. Essentially a high-end analog overdrive pedal built into the backplate of the guitar, the Burstdriver is engaged with a quick tap of the push/push tone knob. A simple twist can transform the dry signal into anything from a fat clean boost to a warm, thick overdrive all the way to a snarling distortion. The effect is entirely true bypass and the level, tone, and gain controls can be adjusted using a guitar pick. The Gibson Custom Burstdriver Les Paul Standard is your new secret sonic weapon!

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Burstdriver%e2%84%a2-Les-Paul-Standard-Lightly-Figured.aspx

Pi7kuqC.jpg

E34AFjG.jpg

As I mentioned in that thread it seems like a cool idea if it sounds good? But I am not going to spend $5700 to find out. Other drawback is that it operates on a 9 volt battery and they are prone to going dead at the exact moment that you really want to kick in that overdrive for your big solo. [cursing]

Seems like a dedicated distortion/overdrive pedal with a consistent power supply might be better ($2K guitar and $200 pedal vs. $5700). But they will probably sell a bunch - always someone willing to go for the latest idea.

People were putting JFET boosters inside their guitars in the 70s.... check out the Alembic Stratoblaster.

I custom built one of my own boosters onto a pot for a customer and he stuck it in a guitar he was building from scratch. He absolutely loves it.

My point.... this is not new - just new for Gibson. :rolleyes: Though the Warren Haynes had a booster in it as I recall.

I like it!

Assuming it does what you'd hope in regards drive quality, then that into a good clean Fender amp... [love]

Costs less than the current equivilent of an R8 or R9 - not sure how the specs line up across that comparison though.

Gibson produced the Artist series in 1979(?) which included the Les Paul Artist, the RD and even a 335, all with complex onboard circuitry designed by Moog.

No od/distortion, but treble and bass boost plus compression and "expansion".

They looked lovely but were a bit pricey even then, and the electronics were bulky and very complicated....discontinued a couple of years later.

just my opinion, but i like the concept. it's a functional idea that many different styles can make at least some use of. the fact you can adjust settings with a pick is very cool too. i love the idea that they are trying new things. not every idea they have is a good one, but babe ruth didnt hit home runs every time either.

that said, why not use a lithium ion battery? it's not like they're hard to get. i see them in pedals now. charge it before you go on, no worries about dead batteries in the middle of your blazing solo. no need to buy expensive 9 volts continuously. i had a violetta delay that had that, and i absolutely loved it.

While this is a kind-of cool idea; it belongs in the USA range and not a multi-thousand <insert currency here> Custom Shop guitar.

It's nice and yes the finishes look good, but if Gibson have decided to scrap the Standard Historic and True Historic ranges so they can do this, then toy factory indeed.

Archived