Gibson Brands Forums

Stickey rubber parts

Dennis G

I've got a Boss micro BR80 that's 6-7 years old. The rubber parts have become "sticky". I've read cleaning solutions online and tried a couple (Windex, etc.) that haven't worked and don't want to destroy the rubber parts either.[confused]

Roland (Boss) website is a PITA. Any suggestions? Thx in advance.

Edit: not sure where to post this so I figured this forum was as good as any.

I live in South Carolina and we get some stuff down here in the Dollar Store called "Awesome". It seems to clean about anything and I haven't seen it cause any damage. I use it a lot on my boat, great for getting that algae grunge stuff off from the water line, but also have used it on the upholstery and the rubber bumpers.

It's pretty cheap so if you can find it where you live it might be worth a try. Just test on a small spot first to make sure it doesn't do any damage, but I don't think it will. (You are supposed to dilute it with water, but I usually just use if full strength).

If you can't find that maybe try some naphtha?

Twang Gang,

Thx for the response and recommendation. FWIW, I did a little more internet digging this morning and found a solution - Isopropyl Alcohol.

I dampened a paper towel with some, rubbed the rubber parts for 10-15 seconds (pretty vigorously) and then dried off the rubber with a fresh paper towel. Worked like a charm! A couple of the more stubborn spots needed 2-3 "treatments" but otherwise, no problems.

Hope this info helps anyone else with similar issues.

Archived