Gibson Brands Forums

What string guage do you use on your les paul?

MarlleyB

I use 10-46's on my les paul coz that's what it had from the start. but how does 9-42's do on a Gibson les paul? I feel use 10's on guitars for a beefier sound whenever you can. I think 9-42 is for Floyd rose equipped guitars. :rolleyes:

Guest Farnsbarns

9-42 on a short scale like a Les Paul will feel too loose I think. If you do that what are you gonna put on a strat?

Been using Super Slinkies 9s for years probably most of my playing life.... Recently though ive been using their Hybrid Slinky set which is 9-46 so you get the thin strings on the high side for lead and the slightly thicker strings on the bass side for rhythm.. I REALLY like them too.

I was using 11-48's on all but I switched ( about 8 months ago) to 10-46 with wound 3rd's and haven't looked back, love 'em.....On the jaguar however I have kept the 10-52's....they just seem to be made for that guitar.

Guest Farnsbarns

I find it pretty surprising that we can even detect a .001 or .002 difference. eusa_think.gif

It's 10% difference in thickness. I'd be more surprised if we couldn't.

I'm using 10-46 D'Addario at the moment with a wound third, but I'm considering going up to an 11-49, again with the wound 3rd.

That being said; I'm looking to start experimenting with some playing in D-standard tuning next time I set up one; can anyone advise if this would be problematic, or countered by simple adjustments to the tailpiece height to find the right tension spot...?

I use Ernie Ball Super Slinkies, .009 to .042 on my two Les Pauls and both Flying V's. I tried Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies 10's and went back to the 9's. I love Super Slinkies and have used them since about 1985 or so, after trying just about everything else before then. I can play with either but prefer the 9's. That's one of the first things I do when I get a new electric guitar.

Mine's an Epi LP, but it came with 10-46s, so that's what I'm using. It feels like the right gauge for that particular guitar. I can see using both 9s and 10s on a Strat, but an LP model just screams "10s" at me. YMMV.

9-46 hybrid set on my Gibby V, which, come to think of it, is also what it came with.

D'Addarios. Force of habit.

.011 - .048s.

...I knew a pro guitarist who used to use 008s on a Les Paul...

The Rev. B. F. Gibbons uses .007 - .038 unless he's playing slide when he goes for those heavyweight .008s....

Pip.

10-46 exl110's nickel

I tried 9's once a long time ago and thought my guitar sucked, then i went back to 10's and loved it again. So no matter what, i like the way they sound better, i truly hear a difference maybe its just me but i believe i hear it whether or not i actually do maybe debatable. 10's are stiffer but they sound so good on LP's What id like to find are the old pyramid rock formula 10's that Dean Farley made back in the day, (yes farley, not markley). I hear he has a new brand now, just cannot for the life of me remember the name of his new ones.

Archived