Gibson Brands Forums

A change in string gauge and tuning

Pesh

Hi all.

I'm currently using 10-46 strings at the moment with a wound 3rd, but I'm considering going up to an 11-49, again with the wound 3rd.

At the same time; I'm looking to start experimenting with some playing in D-standard tuning next time I set up one.

Aside from the nut adjustments and such; can anyone advise if this setup would be problematic, or countered by simple adjustments to the tailpiece height to find the right string tension...? This is not something I've messed with before, so I'm in the dark.

Personal opinion (and I'm no expert) is other than a possible nut adjustment, you should be okay going from 10's to 11's; maybe a truss rod nudge.

That said, just google dan erlewine, he's got several "must have" books on guitar repair/setup.

The bigger strings will add tension and compensate for the downtuning so that should be good

As Dennis said you might need to change the nut and/or saddle slots. That's not a permanent modification but it is harder to go back to smaller strings after you alter the nut and saddle so that's more of a modification that you would do if you are planning on keeping the guitar set up that way.

Other than that just a little intonation adjustment may be necessary

You didnt mention what type of Gtr your changing,,some necks can hold up better to larger strings than others. I "sightline" all my gtrs necks every month to see what the truss rod/fretboard/neck alignment looks like. If it needs anything Ill tweak it.

You didnt mention what type of Gtr your changing,,some necks can hold up better to larger strings than others. I "sightline" all my gtrs necks every month to see what the truss rod/fretboard/neck alignment looks like. If it needs anything Ill tweak it.

Ah! Well-spotted sir, and how forgetful of me. It's a Gibson USA Les Paul, so the usual expectations on scale length and construction, etc.

I know of someone who had super heavy's, around a 52 gauge string for the E, and down tuned to either drop C or C standard and had no problems, so I was hoping the same logic would apply here.

Just going from 10's to 11's won't require much of a change, if any, to intonation, MAYBE a tad on the truss rod, but maybe not....if you were making a jump say from 08's to 12's, it would be a bigger adjustment, but still, nothing terrible.

Les Pauls are very solid and people play any style and any strings on them with no ill effects. I found it easier for me to manipulate 11's rather than lighter strings, and I find Ernie Balls still feel and sound best for me, too...they have a direct line of Slinky strings from the 08 through 12's, FWIW...

Just going from 10's to 11's won't require much of a change, if any, to intonation, MAYBE a tad on the truss rod, but maybe not....if you were making a jump say from 08's to 12's, it would be a bigger adjustment, but still, nothing terrible.

Les Pauls are very solid and people play any style and any strings on them with no ill effects. I found it easier for me to manipulate 11's rather than lighter strings, and I find Ernie Balls still feel and sound best for me, too...they have a direct line of Slinky strings from the 08 through 12's, FWIW...

Thanks, OM. I figured as much. The nut was cut with files that rounded up a gauge or so, so the current nut probably won't need adjusting. Having posted this I almost immediately remembered that I know a guy, who pretty much exclusively plays metal, while at the same time as a great appreciation for vintage style single cuts like the LP and Telecaster. So it didn't stop him getting a white Les Paul Custom, his dream, and then fitted super heavy's, around a 11-52 gauge, or maybe even as high as a 11-56, for the low E string. He plays almost always in the region of drop C or C standard and had no problems, so as I said I was hoping the same logic would apply here msp_biggrin.gif

I have a few guitars I will use 11s and 10s on. I would agree with the general idea that over all, you should not really have much of a problem.

Thanks KB for the confirmation; at this point with your feedback, and everyone else' - I'm going into this change over confidently msp_biggrin.gif

Archived