Gibson Brands Forums

The Adventures of Bungalow Buc

Buc McMaster

Wow, this great fun--really like both; the differences are subtle but distinct. Let us know, as things progress, which one you reach for in particular situations and (if possible) why.

Well if you won't move your hand closer to the sound hole, I guess the sound hole hadda move closer to yer hand. 😋

Is the 12 still short scale?

You've sold me on the Monels, btw. I've got a .12 set ready to go on my adi-topped 45. I've preferred Masterbilt lights over any PBs, but I'm looking forward to trying the nickel.

Those Martin retros REALLY suit the 14 fretter don't they? What a sound! The red spruce is really quick and direct isn't it?

Yes sir.......very much an "in your face" sound from the 14 fret with a cooked adirondack top.......very, very "present" tone. And yeah, Grunt, the 12 fret is quite "gentle" relative to the 14......dramatic difference.

A little Merle on the 12, Keith? Maybe so......... Swinging Doors maybe?

I hope you like the monels on yours, Anne. Being a fingerpicker as you are there might not be a pronounced aggressiveness like my pick attack generates but they are certainly a great string for Gibson tone........for my ears at least.

Thanks to all for listening and chiming in here! I'm very pleased with the new little 12!

Listening again (for around the 5th time today!) I think the 14 sounds great in your hands but certainly for my playing style, the 12 would suit me best out of the two...I can't put my finger on why, it just has that mellow-but-present tone that I love in (ironically) my Hummingbird!

Two absolutely crackerjack guitars you have, though, Buc. Anyone would be proud to own either. Superb playing too, but that goes without saying!

Interesting, that 12th fretter sounds like a J-45 'light' or maybe more like a J-35. That TV sure has a lot of kahunas which I didnt hear on the 12th fretter, but perhpas thats part of its charm. Sort of like comparing a Humminbird to a Dove as I have been doing a lot lately.

Sort of like comparing a Humminbird to a Dove as I have been doing a lot lately.

I feel you on that one! I've come to the conclusion that although they're both named after avian creatures, the Hummingbird and Dove have as much in common in terms of tone and feel as a bathtub and a horse. My Dove is rich, big, strident and assertive, whereas my Hummingbird is warm, soporific, ethereal and comforting. Absolutely love 'em both and can't believe I managed to go for SEVEN years between my last Hummingbird and my current one...one of the great "must have" acoustics in my book!

I feel you on that one! I've come to the conclusion that although they're both named after avian creatures, the Hummingbird and Dove have as much in common in terms of tone and feel as a bathtub and a horse. My Dove is rich, big, strident and assertive, whereas my Hummingbird is warm, soporific, ethereal and comforting. Absolutely love 'em both and can't believe I managed to go for SEVEN years between my last Hummingbird and my current one...one of the great "must have" acoustics in my book!

Could not agree more Jinder. When the Dove arrived it was bold and beautiful, and frankly looked down on all the other Gibbies ... quite arrogant in way. But because it could. Im now coparing it to the Bird, and am starting to see the differences you describe. They are very different guitars, very different, but both offer so much, but in such different ways. We are lucky to have both.

The first one takes gold - more room, depth, body. An absolutely convincing guitar.

The 12'er is a little flat in comparison, but might be coming after it, , , , if it gets the chance to stay around for so long ;-)

Great test

Congrats on the 12 fret. You had mentioned “the bridge being deep on the body moves my natural pick hand position closer to the sound hole by a little”, and earlier Em7 remarked on the relocation of the soundhole. These things might play a part in the sound being maybe a little scooped on the eq; I remember reading, either on the recent Stage Deluxe Rosewood, or the original '30's Smeck Radio Grande’s design, how the soundhole was reduced to 3.75” in an attempt to build more low-mids.

Thanks for having both of yours on the Monels for the test. The top of the Vintage has been torrefied, it’s Adirondack, and the guitar has been played in a bit. I take it that the 12 fret is new(?), and it’s sound should change as it gets the J-45 V’s playing time. Since the non-fretting hand ends up closer to the soundhole on a 12 fret, maybe you can play back a little, and change the guitar’s eq, if desired.

Picking hand's position on the last “d” chord (J-45 V, to the left, 12 fret, on right):

pdYKd9X.png

Picking hand's position on the “g” chord (J-45V, left, 12 fret, right):

0lRT6sm.png

Thanks for sharing the clip.

Wow, 62.......freeze frame! There does appear to be a little difference in the hand position relative to the bridge.........so it's not my imagination then. Little doubt the 12'er will be getting the lion's share of play time for awhile, to hasten the break-in if nothing else..........but it is a pleasure to play anyway and it's the new kid on the block to boot. I do expect this one will also be staying awhile..........infamous last words

Archived