Gibson Brands Forums

What About A Gibson Harley?

BluesKing777

This is not a J-185. In 1994 Gibson penned a deal with Harley and they made the guitar on a J-180 body not a J-185. They did agree to a limited number but Gibson spread them out over several years. They actually shipped 768 of them in 1994.They shipped 176 in 1995 and 1 each in 1996 and 1997. Gibson allowed Harley to sell them in the Harley accessory catalog and not thru Gibson dealers.

The folks at Harley had no way to store the guitars adequately and many of them suffered dehydration and failed. Harley nor knowing anything about guitars didn't inspect them before shipping and a lot of customers got damaged guitars. There were a lot of hard feelings at the time as folks tried to take the damaged guitars to Gibson dealers for warranty work. The Gibson dealers were upset about not being allowed to sell the guitars and refused to do the warranty work. Harley replaced most of the guitars and then tried to ship the damaged guitars back to Gibson. Gibson had to replace most of the guitars and the rest of the contract was not finished. Much to the relief to everyone .

Needless to say Gibson and Harley decided it wasn't in anyone's best interest to deal with each other ever again.

This is not a J-185. In 1994 Gibson penned a deal with Harley and they made the guitar on a J-180 body not a J-185. They did agree to a limited number but Gibson spread them out over several years. They actually shipped 768 of them in 1994.They shipped 176 in 1995 and 1 each in 1996 and 1997. Gibson allowed Harley to sell them in the Harley accessory catalog and not thru Gibson dealers.

The folks at Harley had no way to store the guitars adequately and many of them suffered dehydration and failed. Harley nor knowing anything about guitars didn't inspect them before shipping and a lot of customers got damaged guitars. There were a lot of hard feelings at the time as folks tried to take the damaged guitars to Gibson dealers for warranty work. The Gibson dealers were upset about not being allowed to sell the guitars and refused to do the warranty work. Harley replaced most of the guitars and then tried to ship the damaged guitars back to Gibson. Gibson had to replace most of the guitars and the rest of the contract was not finished. Much to the relief to everyone .

Needless to say Gibson and Harley decided it wasn't in anyone's best interest to deal with each other ever again.

Plus you look like a **** playing one

That explains why I've not seen one that hadn't been subject to repair. All this time, I thought it was just a result of the biker lifestyle!

If you're a biker it's perfectly OK.

Does my Ferrari bike count?

Actually called a trendy name like The Metro or something and I got it for the Boss to go riding, but she has never been near it and I ride it when it is rainy/muddy 'cos it has mudguards and my other bike doesn't.

Maybe it needs a Harley sticker?

Also needs a clean because it sure don't look like the shiny thing in the photo anymore......

f8lQECp.jpg

BluesKing777.

I remember watching the pearl being applied to these.. neat looking guitars..

Does my Ferrari bike count?

Actually called a trendy name like The Metro or something and I got it for the Boss to go riding, but she has never been near it and I ride it when it is rainy/muddy 'cos it has mudguards and my other bike doesn't.

Maybe it needs a Harley sticker?

Also needs a clean because it sure don't look like the shiny thing in the photo anymore......

f8lQECp.jpg

BluesKing777.

Actually, I suspect you qualify more as a cyclist than biker. When I was still a practicing biker, nobody qualified as such unless they rode a Harley. Decided to take my chances with growing older (so far so good) a few years back and quit, but miss it sometimes. Still would like to own the HD Gibson, though. The last time I played one was at a biker wedding - was using a Woody Guthrie SJ at the time - and teamed up with a local 1%-er who had a Harley guitar. We did quite a few David Allan Coe tunes, and he fell in love w/the WGSJ. He finally bought it from me at an outrageous price, but wouldn't turn loose of his HD. I keep hoping Gibson'll decide to do an Old Cowboy signature model 185, but my wife says I'm too obscure and esoteric. Not sure, but I think she's calling me an a$$hole😄

Archived