Gibson Brands Forums

Odd Serial Number on my Les Paul Voodoo

trapdoorspider

I just bought a new Gibson Les Paul Voodoo, and I noticed that the serial number, stamped on the back of the headstock, looks funny. The numbers are slightly narrower than what I've seen on other Gibsons. Also, it just says "Made in USA" without any date.

Everything else on this guitar looks genuine -- the headstock logo, Gibson name on the pots and printed circuitboard, bridge, construction (maple neck and crazy "ju ju" finish on the ash body. I haven't pulled the pickups to check what they say, but everything else looks like a Gibson should -- except for the back of the headstock.

So I don't THINK this is a fake, but what do you think? Did Gibson go with a different style of numbering in 2017?

Thanks.

post-5327-085838100 1500967084_thumb.png

That picture you uploaded doesn't look to be of a Voodoo headstock but with how small it is, it is hard to tell. To the best of my knowledge, the Voodoo II was a very limited run from early to mid 2016.

But the instructions for uploading files say that the maximum file size must be smaller than 17kb, so how can I upload anything larger?

Eh? Where does it say that?

Rule #13 is;

"Do not post images that exceed the width of the page."

Pictures can easily be around the 500kb file-size. For ease of use just don't make them wider than, say, 27cm @ 72 pixels per inch and you'll be fine.

Pip.

EDIT : Just ou of curiosity I've just done an experiment. A reasonably 'busy' JPEG measuring 27cm x 18cm @72 ppi works out at around 420kb.

Eh? Where does it say that?

Rule #13 is;

"Do not post images that exceed the width of the page."

Pictures can easily be around the 500kb file-size. For ease of use just don't make them wider than, say, 27cm @ 72 pixels per inch and you'll be fine.

Pip.

EDIT : Just ou of curiosity I've just done an experiment. A reasonably 'busy' JPEG measuring 27cm x 18cm @72 ppi works out at around 420kb.

I just attached a larger file. It seems I had reached my maximum file capacity with other photos I uploaded months ago. Thanks.

I just bought a new Gibson Les Paul Voodoo, and I noticed that the serial number, stamped on the back of the headstock, looks funny. The numbers are slightly narrower than what I've seen on other Gibsons. Also, it just says "Made in USA" without any date.

Everything else on this guitar looks genuine -- the headstock logo, Gibson name on the pots and printed circuitboard, bridge, construction (maple neck and crazy "ju ju" finish on the ash body. I haven't pulled the pickups to check what they say, but everything else looks like a Gibson should -- except for the back of the headstock.

So I don't THINK this is a fake, but what do you think? Did Gibson go with a different style of numbering in 2017?

Thanks.

There are conflicting things there...

On the whole and just from that one image I'd say it probably IS legit but there are a few things which are pretty odd and the positioning of the Grovers is pretty shocking. The angle of the 'G' tuner in particular should be reported to the Criminal Courts...

Without seeing the rest of the guitar I can't say much more. Certainly the stamp is finer than we are used to seeing but if all the hardware/logo/PCB seem correct then its unlikely to be fake. Counterfeiters don't usually install Gibson-style PCBs AFAIK.

Pip.

There are conflicting things there...

On the whole and just from that one image I'd say it probably IS legit but there are a few things which are pretty odd and the positioning of the Grovers is pretty shocking. The angle of the 'G' tuner in particular should be reported to the Criminal Courts...

Without seeing the rest of the guitar I can't say much more. Certainly the stamp is finer than we are used to seeing but if all the hardware/logo/PCB seem correct then its unlikely to be fake. Counterfeiters don't usually install Gibson-style PCBs AFAIK.

Pip.

I've attached a few more photos. Yeah, one of the tuners seems a bit crooked. But all the major components -- especially the pots and wiring and bridge -- seem legit. If you're going to make a fake Gibson, it doesn't make sense to build it with Gibson parts, but what do I know. Thanks for your help.

I have several Les Paul BFGs, and I noticed on the back some of the say "MADE IN USA" (no periods) and another one says "MADE IN U.S.A." (with periods). It seems Gibson isn't consistent with a lot of things. post-5327-025613600 1500996069_thumb.jpg

post-5327-008051000 1500996085_thumb.jpg

post-5327-001673200 1500996152_thumb.jpg

If there's one are where Gibson are consistent it is their lack of consistency...

Yup. All seems 100% genuine. Also it would be an odd choice for the counterfeiters in the first place as I suspect it might have a more 'niche market' appeal.

Enjoy playing your new charge!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

The serial number looks about the same as my 2017 LP Standard. Mine says made in USA and there are no periods between the letters. Mine does say 2017 Model below the USA, but that is the only difference.

I think you're fine.

The serial number looks about the same as my 2017 LP Standard. Mine says made in USA and there are no periods between the letters. Mine does say 2017 Model below the USA, but that is the only difference.

I think you're fine.

Well, I hope mine doesn't say "MADE IN USA" -- because it WASN'T made in the USA. That's what I'm concerned about. I know all about the Chinese fakes, but I wonder if there's another type of "fake" where all the parts are correct, but the assembly, finish, etc. are completed in another country?

The other mystery is that I read this LP Voodoo was a limited run, with only a few hundred made in 2016. And yet, here is (according to the serial number) a 2017 model.

Perhaps I'm simply obsessing over nothing. But I contacted Gibson Customer Support (by email, with photos) to see what they have to say.

Thanks for your help! - michael

Well, I hope mine doesn't say "MADE IN USA" -- because it WASN'T made in the USA. That's what I'm concerned about. I know all about the Chinese fakes, but I wonder if there's another type of "fake" where all the parts are correct, but the assembly, finish, etc. are completed in another country?

You just said what now?

rct

Simply, I've never seen a fake Gibson LP with Gibson labeled board and pots.... I don't think the Chibsons are there yet.

I think it's real. I've also seen pictures of your guitar on other forums - and I think it looks totalay rad. Hope it rocks as good as it looks.

Archived