Gibson Brands Forums

Marshall DSL 100H Amp?

MichaelT

So, to make a long story short, my Marshall amp is dead and I've been looking at getting a Marshall head (and probably cabinet as well) and I did a little searching and the Marshall DSL 100H head looks pretty versatile and seems to have a great sound from the video. Does anyone have one of these and if so, what do you think of it?

Here is the link:

https://marshallamps.com/products/amplifiers/dsl-series/dsl100h/

I'm looking to match it with this cabinet:

https://marshallamps.com/products/cabinets/1960a/

I'm going to do some shopping to play through it myself but wanted opinions from anyone who actually owns one.

I also looked at the 40 watt combo, which I can plug into my Randall 4x12 cabinet, which is what I used to do with my old Marshall.

https://marshallamps.com/products/amplifiers/dsl-series/dsl40c/

Opinions of this amp?

Late 90's I had an early DSL401, a single 12 40 watt, made in England. I used it on a 2x12 cab I had built, Jensens in the cab and the original Celestion in the Marshall. At the same time I used a slightly modded Prosonic into the same cabinet, so I'd take them out as I felt like taking them. Didn't take long before I was using the Marshall for rehearsals only, and then only a couple years later I traded it off for something, I think it went in the Great Taylor Trade that netted me six months of misery with a Taylor 414 something or other.

So anyway, yeah, not real Marshall-y, and I was never a Marshall kinda guy anyway. I did like them turned up on top of a couple of cabinets in the 70's, but they didn't last long so I wasn't a big fan. These newish ones were nice and made well, just a bit on the buzzy side of buzzy, to me.

Good luck. I'm off in search of an amp in a couple weeks, got some trading to do. Deluxe, Custom Deluxe, Custom Vibrolux are the short list.

rct

... newish ones were nice and made well, just a bit on the buzzy side of buzzy, to me.

rct

This [thumbup]

IMHO, new Marshall are full of printed circuit boards and loaded up with tons of pre-amp gain and master volume induced buzziness.

For the same money you could get a hand wired kit if you are handy with a soldering iron. In fact you can find them already assembled for around $1000 on Reverb.

I was looking at amps earlier in the year. I was looking at the 50 version of this. But in the end I went for a Hughes and Kettner Switchblade, 3 channels etc. Great amp. You could look at Blackstar. Ex Marshall people too.

As many here know, I had a Plexi 200 Watt (Marshall Major) full stack, in my misspent youth. LOVED that amp,

but it was unusable, at it's volume/tone "sweet spot," save outdoors, for any venue I played, back then. So, I sold it,

when I sold ALL my gear, and stopped playing for 30 years! [crying]

Several years ago, I managed to piece together a used, but "like new," TSL 100 Half-Stack, with 1960A 4X12 cabinet,

"Made in England," for the same cost, as buying a new Fender Deluxe Reverb.

NICE amp, but NOT a "PLexi!" And, the same problem exists, now...I still can't use it, really, for any venue I'm

currently playing...IF/When I get to play "out," at all! (I get yelled at, for volume, even just using my Blues Jr.!)

So, the lovely Marshall sits in my living room, looking awesome, but hardly ever used. [crying] It's never been "buzzy,"

to me, but it is way more "gain" than a Plexi! Still, I'm keeping it! At least for the foreseeable future.

Nostalgia, I suppose?! [tongue][biggrin]

Maybe, "someday" I'll get another Plexi head...in the 30 to 50 watt (Max) range??? [unsure][confused]

CB

hey Michael..

The new DSLs are not for everyone. If your accustomed to the more vintage amps, they may not "Feel" or sound right for you.

Blackstar as Larry mentions, is a decent choice. My brother inlaw has a Club 60, pretty nice 2x12 combo.. They are also MIC as are the DLSs, but they don't quite have the "fuzzy-buzzy" that you may hear in the DSLs.

There are SO many to choose from these days.

Supro has some nice new combos out, and if you want to spend some dough there's PLENTY of top end stuff.

you may want to stick with the Marshall (I would),, but I'd be going for the JVMs... more dough, but more "marshall" to our ears I'd bet.

I've had my Marshall JTM60-2x12 for over 20 years now. It's been pretty rock solid. I have a JTMC2x12 cab that I run with it. I like the flexibility of the combo for transport, and the extra cab comes along most of the time too.

!Good luck!

I had a DSL40C. The guys on the Anderton's videos are always raving about how great they are. I thought it was cheaply built and unimpressive. The reverb broke and I sold the thing after is was fixed under warranty. It sounded decent, but my Mesa blows it away, even for Marshall type tones.

As many here know, I had a Plexi 200 Watt (Marshall Major) full stack, in my misspent youth. LOVED that amp,

but it was unusable, at it's volume/tone "sweet spot," save outdoors, for any venue I played, back then. So, I sold it,

when I sold ALL my gear, and stopped playing for 30 years! [crying]

Several years ago, I managed to piece together a used, but "like new," TSL 100 Half-Stack, with 1960A 4X12 cabinet,

"Made in England," for the same cost, as buying a new Fender Deluxe Reverb.

NICE amp, but NOT a "PLexi!" And, the same problem exists, now...I still can't use it, really, for any venue I'm

currently playing...IF/When I get to play "out," at all! (I get yelled at, for volume, even just using my Blues Jr.!)

So, the lovely Marshall sits in my living room, looking awesome, but hardly ever used. [crying] It's never been "buzzy,"

to me, but it is way more "gain" than a Plexi! Still, I'm keeping it! At least for the foreseeable future.

Nostalgia, I suppose?! [tongue][biggrin]

Maybe, "someday" I get another Plexi head...in the 30 to 50 watt (Max) range??? [unsure][confused]

CB

Even the JTM45 is pretty damn loud

They are rated at 30W, but when you turn the volume all the way up you're probably getting 50W+

Maybe get you a JTM45 and one of those fancy attenuators from Surfpup

Even the JTM45 is pretty damn loud

They are rated at 30W, but when you turn the volume all the way up you're probably getting 50W+

Maybe get you a JTM45 and one of those fancy attenuators from Surfpup

very good idea. get the Juice Box from Surf ...

I'm full of em hehehe

There are some tried and true master volume mods too but it's all about the power tube distortion anyway right?? Crank it or spank it [flapper]

Yep... my JTM45 has a master on it - and a good one too (post phase inverter type) - but I keep the master wide open and use an attenuator instead. It sounds way better that way! Gotta get those power tubes workin' [thumbup]

This [thumbup]

IMHO, new Marshall are full of printed circuit boards and loaded up with tons of pre-amp gain and master volume induced buzziness.

For the same money you could get a hand wired kit if you are handy with a soldering iron. In fact you can find them already assembled for around $1000 on Reverb.

You are right on, my two Marrshslls are newer, SL5 and DSL15 and they are more like Texas Instruments Super Leads

If I could play well and had was looking for a 100w head I'd go for a JCM800 2203, that's my jam. I was sad that my JCM1 really fell short of capturing that sound and sold it.

Archived