Gibson Brands Forums

repair opinions wanted - J-45

Hi everyone,

I was hoping for some opinions. I broke the head stock on my J-45 when I fell recently. I shipped it off to Gibson and they're telling me it will be around $1100 to fix it. (It was a really bad break.)

Would you fix it, or would you just buy something new?

I can't decided. I would love some help.

Thank you!

Gibson Repair and Restoration are NOT "Cheap!" They do excellent/awesome work, and it will be done right!

However, that quote is almost 1/2 the cost of a new "standard" J-45. It almost sounds more like the cost of

a total neck replacement, vs. just a head stock repair. But, IF you decide to go with them, they will do

it right, and the repair will be invisible!

Good Luck, on your decision!

CB

Where are you located? One of us should be able to direct you to a good luthier that should do it for a fraction of that amount.

I recently took a mandolin of a friend that was split from above the nut to halfway down the neck to the luthier I use. It was barely noticeable when done and my friend said it plays better than before the break.

Where are you located? One of us should be able to direct you to a good luthier that should do it for a fraction of that amount.

I recently took a mandolin of a friend that was split from above the nut to halfway down the neck to the luthier I use. It was barely noticeable when done and my friend said it plays better than before the break.

I have the name of an excellent one where I'm at in Chicago. I was just lazy and sent it off.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I was hoping for some opinions. I broke the head stock on my J-45 when I fell recently. I shipped it off to Gibson and they're telling me it will be around $1100 to fix it. (It was a really bad break.)

Would you fix it, or would you just buy something new?

I can't decided. I would love some help.

Thank you!

Pictures would be a great help..

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We would have to see some photos to get a better idea of what is involved, but that's does seem a lot for a neck repair. IME it doesn't really matter how bad the break was, a competent luthier could fix just about any neck break for 250~500. One thing on your side though is with Gibson doing it, the chances of it coming back with the fix 100% undetectable, is probably very high.

Any time you have a guitar shipped BACK to the builder for a repair, it's gonna cost-a-plenty for the fix, but it will most likely be done right

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Technically, the picture shows a "good"break; it's long, looks quite clean and there is a massive surface area for the glue to work on. I'd very comfortable fix this myself; just use good glue and lots of clamps then use super fine sand paper to clean up the lines of the break and re-polish. The break looks so clean that I'm sure it will not be obvious once repaired. There doesn't appear to be any missing chunks/splinters.

Archived