Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Nighthawk Saddle Height Screws

Hi there! Regrading a Nighthawk fixed hardtail bridge saddle, I have some saddle height screws I would like to replace with different ones. My question specifically is the Fender standard height replacement saddles featured here at...

http://www.musicians...L4MF-adType^PLA

...these will work for Gibson Nighthawk bridge saddles? Obviously trying to avoid cross-threading and of course avoiding buying a set of parts that simply do not fit in the screw hole cavities. I do not necessarily want to purchase a new set of saddles, but I could spend a couple more dollars to do this. I believe from E-to-E (string 1-to-6) I have 2-1/16" to be concerned about... I actually can find very similar saddles that share this dimension, but the saddles I have are really just fine... A couple height screws are a little rough - hex head insert is slightly stripped. I can still adjust these stripped screws with slightly larger hex wrench, but I would like these to be uniformly adjusted with same size hex wrench. The option I would like is to have some of these handy in case of future issues with these height screws. Anyhow, is the part I shared a link to going to work for the Nighthawk bridge, plain and simple. If not, is there another part I can entertain to do so? Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

Here's another link that may either be same screws or not...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fender-original-strat-bridge-height-screws-12?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqPTS842l1QIVmLfACh2RqA_JEAQYASABEgJ8xPD_BwE&kwid=productads-adid^156717928496-device^c-plaid^143220055242-sku^361245000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

This link may be irrelevant.

IIRC Fender screws are 4-40 sae. Take one from your NH down to Home Depot, they have a board with male and female of all sizes there. I'm pretty sure the Gibson part is the same size #4,but not certain of thread pitch, so that's the thing to watch.

Good luck.

IIRC Fender screws are 4-40 sae. Take one from your NH down to Home Depot, they have a board with male and female of all sizes there. I'm pretty sure the Gibson part is the same size #4,but not certain of thread pitch, so that's the thing to watch.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice, I very much appreciate it. I shall as suggested to find the correct size of my NH hardware.

NHC, I hope I wasn't too simplistic yesterday, maybe not enough coffee yet to make polite conversation. But I didn't want to tell you that the Fender part would fit, then find out I had told you wrong, and it cost you time and money.

The only Gibson 'hawk bridge I have around right now is on my '06 Blueshawk. And it's not safe to assume that they used the same parts in 06 that they used in the 90s. From what I understand, companies source their parts when they need them, and they don't always buy from the same suppliers. It wouldn't be the 1st time I was surprised to find a metric fastener on a US made instrument.If you measure it you know exactly what you have.

OK I'll shut up now. [biggrin]

@dReit

You're all good! Pretty much what you mentioned is what should be done, plain and simple. I like it - very concise. I agree this is the only way to know for sure what will work. Thanks again for the advice, I sincerely appreciate your reply.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another thing to note is for those that need this information and run into it via this thread, if a saddle replacement is needed, look for a set where the distance from high E to low E is 2 1/16". I compared first-hand to a set of graph techs or whatever they're called at my local store, so this size is the correct one to look for. I even went so far to physically measure this and indeed, distance = 2 1/16"...

Archived