Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

BluesKing777

NGD!

As hinted at in another thread, another Lowden for me - O22.

They say it is cedar over mahogany with maple binding but I think the top is made out of a fair Ireland lass's bum! Looks like skin! [flapper] [flapper] [flapper]

ZnJXHTy.jpg

xWOn9dN.jpg

gwn6TvD.jpg

BluesKing777.

You've gone completely mad! How can you possibly play all these? Is the Cargill, which you should be busy breaking in, stuck in the back of a car trunk or a closet? Oooo, I'd love to have a coffee with your wife and ask her about these hoarding tendencies.

Ya' know how Tom lays all his guitars out and takes a group pic. Can you do one for us?

Thanks Anne and JZ!

Well, I made the mistake of playing it a while back and...

I kept reading about these large Lowdens are designed for fingerpicking, even though a lot of players use a pick, but generally Lowdens are finger friendly necks and spaces and tone. And guess what? It is! It may need 3 hairs shaved off the nut but I will acclimatise it a bit first. Amazingly it sounds very much like my Lowden S35 only....bigger?

Now JZ, no news that I am mad, and the Boss and I had the discussion about my trading all my monopoly houses for hotels (cheaper guitars for more expensive guitars!) but when I listed the ones I thought would be going, she stopped me to say: "But what about your band history with those guitars? You don't want to sell those, and all the memories, do you?" And she even offered to buy one to keep on the wall...

So....

I will have to move them on a bit more quietly and get that other number I had in mind..... :mellow: Hire the truck while she's out. I don't remember her actually coming to gigs much but, you know, she probably heard more about it, poor girl.

And that notion about laying all my guitars out in a group photo like Tom does....well, I don't think I would have room or even the energy [flapper] [flapper] [flapper]

BluesKing777.

Edit: just noticed - how did that weed get in my nice photos? I better go and get it.

Have to say I'm jealous that's my favourite Lowden model. Beautiful guitar cedar over mahogany is magical on a Lowden.

Thanks!

After seeing PB play the Old Lady, well....no return from seeing that!

Mine must be the 'New Girl'!

I had it tuned down past DADGAD to CGCFGC and it sounded monstrously deep! [mellow]

BluesKing777.

Thanks for the replies!

Sorry, too much Lowden in-crowd speak for you, was it?

PB is Pierre Bensusan, master DADGAD guitarist and the OLd Lady is his wonderful old Lowden:

BluesKing777.

yes sir..

Pierre is fantastic..

yes sir..

Pierre is fantastic..

Ha! You copied my post before I corrected the spelling! Too quick for us.

What a beautiful tone Pierre has in the clip I posted - no shortage of Various Neumann mics in front of him.

BluesKing777.

Went to sleep again, BBG?

Well, I like PB and love the tone.

My guitar above, O22, is claimed to be one of the DADGAD'ers but I have had it tuned down 2 more steps to CGCFGC...what is the quick name for that? Cooga-Coofa-Gocca? Apart from being one of the tuning names that make eyes, and some ears, glaze over, it 'held' the low C very well and I have never heard a guitar string sound so 'deep'.

I might leave it in this tuning to experiment away until I can get the guitar to the luthier for a trim, just a whisker high at the nut at the moment.

I did some recording, and it is very hard to capture that 'depth'. Hmmmm.

BluesKing777.

Went to sleep again, BBG?

Well, I like PB and love the tone.

My guitar above, O22, is claimed to be one of the DADGAD'ers but I have had it tuned down 2 more steps to CGCFGC...what is the quick name for that? Cooga-Coofa-Gocca? Apart from being one of the tuning names that make eyes, and some ears, glaze over, it 'held' the low C very well and I have never heard a guitar string sound so 'deep'.

I might leave it in this tuning to experiment away until I can get the guitar to the luthier for a trim, just a whisker high at the nut at the moment.

I did some recording, and it is very hard to capture that 'depth'. Hmmmm.

BluesKing777.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263099793019

Ooh

Why did we get this link, BBG?

Do you want be to buy another one? (exactly the same as mine but their photos are pretty average, I must say, as it doesn't really look like it much.)

How does that price compare to the nicer Gibbies in your neck of the woods, (BBG?). Mine was way cheaper than a new Bird or torrefied J45! (Here). Didn't matter, I was getting the Lowden come hell or high water and then they gave me $600 off! And it was way cheaper than the 59 Country and Western with the skinniest neck I have seen. The Lowden neck could make 3 of those!

BluesKing777.

Archived