Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Karaoke

MichaelT

When I'm playing my guitar and there's not much on TV, my wife will turn off the TV, play her phone via Bluetooth to her little portable stereo and bring up Pandora or I Heart Radio or something. It will (sort of) randomly pick a song and she'll try to guess before I play whether or not I know the song or can learn it before the end of the song, not including lead parts but usually I improvise or fake it, catching key parts.

So, I've been using two guitars (chosen at random) and tuned to standard and the other tuned a half step down. Once the song starts, as I'm picking up the guitar, she'll say "Know it" or "Learn it." Then, she tries to figure out if I really know it or learning on the fly. We'll sometimes play for 2 or 3 hours a night, usually with the guitars unplugged from the amp and the stereo being low enough that we can hear both. It's a great way to practice ear training, learning songs I've never played before and just to play for a few hours and it keeps her entertained as well. Sometimes I get her to sing along and I feel she's a pretty good singer.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share that in hopes others might find that fun as well.

It's a great way to practice ear training, learning songs I've never played before and just to play for a few hours ...

[thumbup] Seems like a lot of fun - and as you say good for your musicianship.

I do something similar that doesn't require a partner. When a song or ad comes on, I'll pick up the guitar and try to solo over it in key. My goal is to get the key right right away by using my ear. You will be surprised how often you get it right if you just trust your instincts.

I don't have a partner, or I have too many, depending on who you ask, but here's something I do: I check out a Youtube video teaching me a riff, a solo run, whatever. I get it down okay, then I practice it while watching a documentary.

I don't have a partner, or I have too many, depending on who you ask, but here's something I do: I check out a Youtube video teaching me a riff, a solo run, whatever. I get it down okay, then I practice it while watching a documentary.

that's also a cool idea. thanks for that. you may already know of this, but just in case...

http://documentaryheaven.com

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/video/shorts/

Archived