• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whirlybird?

#1 User is offline   Digger 

• Resident Old Fart
  • Group: Members
  • LocationS.E. Australia

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:28 PM

Saw this in the news this morning and thought it might amuse you?

http://www.abc.net.a...ction=good-news

#2 User is offline   Retired 

• The Ham bone is connected to the ........
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:43 PM

Too cute. Boy there taking turns on the merry go round. Yeah, I've never seen birds ride them before.
Herman

#3 User is offline   Digger 

• Resident Old Fart
  • LocationS.E. Australia

Posted 30 July 2017 - 03:39 PM

View PostRetired, on 26 July 2017 - 10:43 PM, said:

Too cute. Boy there taking turns on the merry go round. Yeah, I've never seen birds ride them before.

I've never seen that behaviour before myself and I loved it that they were taking turns.

Apart from always having ducks here, this year we've got a couple of Swamp Hens living near the dam and they've been here for a while now. We are expecting young'uns but they seem to be taking their time about it. It's fascinating watching their behaviour as they stalk around the place doing whatever Swamp Hens do~

Birds are interesting!

#4 User is offline   Whitefang 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI (home of the MC5!)

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:33 AM

Never known those vents to be called "whirlybirds". That's what we've always called those seed pods that "whirl" down from Maple trees 'round here. People in these parts scoop a good 20+ pounds of them outa their gutters every year. Get all over driveways, sidewalks and under the hoods of cars. Real nuisances.

When still green and supple, we would(as kids) break off the seed and place the "tail" in our mouths in a way as to make a"kazoo" type sound with 'em. Haven't done that in many moons! ;)
Whitefang

#5 User is offline   Retired 

• LocationUSA

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:52 PM

Digger said:

1501450780[/url]' post='1872192']
I've never seen that behaviour before myself and I loved it that they were taking turns.

Apart from always having ducks here, this year we've got a couple of Swamp Hens living near the dam and they've been here for a while now. We are expecting young'uns but they seem to be taking their time about it. It's fascinating watching their behaviour as they stalk around the place doing whatever Swamp Hens do~

Birds are interesting!

Ha ha, maybe they got into someone's alcohol thrown out?
Herman

#6 User is offline   Retired 

• LocationUSA

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:53 PM

Whitefang said:

1501497231[/url]' post='1872250']
Never known those vents to be called "whirlybirds". That's what we've always called those seed pods that "whirl" down from Maple trees 'round here. People in these parts scoop a good 20+ pounds of them outa their gutters every year. Get all over driveways, sidewalks and under the hoods of cars. Real nuisances.

When still green and supple, we would(as kids) break off the seed and place the "tail" in our mouths in a way as to make a"kazoo" type sound with 'em. Haven't done that in many moons! ;)
Whitefang

Yep! I can remember doing that.
Herman

#7 User is offline   Digger 

• Resident Old Fart
  • LocationS.E. Australia

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:38 PM

Chuckle, those vents are called "vents", the Whirlybird theme was because they are birds "whirling" around on the vent.

I thought that sounded better than spinning birds.

#8 User is offline   Retired 

• LocationUSA

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:41 PM

Digger said:

1501709902[/url]' post='1872757']
Chuckle, those vents are called "vents", the Whirlybird theme was because they are birds "whirling" around on the vent.

I thought that sounded better than spinning birds.

Billy Preston, "Will it go Round in Circes" I thought that was cool, all my born days I've never seen birds having fun like that.
Herman

#10 User is offline   johntrem 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCuyahoga Falls, OH. USA

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:47 PM

When I was a kid there was a TV show called "Whirlybirds" about two helicopter pilots starring the great Kenneth Tobey. I loved it. It was on from 1957 to 1960. That's right, I'm old. When I saw the title of this post I honestly wondered if it was related to the TV show. There was another show about skydivers called "Ripcord" which I also loved. Starred Ken Curtis pre-Festus.

#11 User is offline   Digger 

• Resident Old Fart
  • LocationS.E. Australia

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:16 AM

Dont know why you got a minus Butch but I'll plus you elsewhere to balance it out for you.

#12 User is offline   Whitefang 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI (home of the MC5!)

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:58 AM

View Postjohntrem, on 14 August 2017 - 07:47 PM, said:

When I was a kid there was a TV show called "Whirlybirds" about two helicopter pilots starring the great Kenneth Tobey. I loved it. It was on from 1957 to 1960. That's right, I'm old. When I saw the title of this post I honestly wondered if it was related to the TV show. There was another show about skydivers called "Ripcord" which I also loved. Starred Ken Curtis pre-Festus.

Whaddya mean, "OLD"? I remember that show. Backstory: I saw the show a few years befor ever seeing the movie "The Thing" and the first thought when watching that was, "HEY! There's CHUCK from WHIRLYBIRDS"! ;)

Remember. Tobey starred in that with a pre-"Gunsmoke" JAMES ARNESS as the "thing"(from another planet) ;)
Whitefang

#13 User is offline   Retired 

• LocationUSA

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:51 PM

Whitefang said:

1502881127[/url]' post='1875383']
Whaddya mean, "OLD"? I remember that show. Backstory: I saw the show a few years befor ever seeing the movie "The Thing" and the first thought when watching that was, "HEY! There's CHUCK from WHIRLYBIRDS"! ;)

Remember. Tobey starred in that with a pre-"Gunsmoke" JAMES ARNESS as the "thing"(from another planet) ;)
Whitefang

I was onl 4 years old in 57, don't remember that one. I remember the "Thing."
Herman

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users