Gibson Brands Forums

Beer, riding mowers and Florida hot sun do not go together !

brc

I kind of got started repairing riding mowers as a hobby, and now I am so busy I turn people away.

About 1 1/2 weeks ago I picked up a riding mower for an elderly couple that really did not have the money for the repair.

After working on it for about 3 days getting it serviced and running again, I discovered the transaxle was bad and needed to be changed.

After speaking with the owners, I told them I had a used transaxle and would do the swap just for the labor.

They were were happy and asked to to proceed.

After unbloting all the bolts, brackets and such I pulled the transaxle out from under the mower.

I used a 4 ton jack to raise the body to make room so I could slide the transaxle, tires and wheels out from under the body.

I had the body supported by an adjustable jack stand.

I them slid in the new transaxle, tires and wheels.

Not thinking, the new tires and wheels were a size larger than the mower originally had on it, so the new assembly would not side right in under the mowers body.

I underestimated the weight of the body, and transaxle and tried to lift the body and slide the transaxle in place.

The damn body fell off the jack stand pulling both my arms down as it dropped.

There is a huge brake return spring in this same location, and as the body dropped, the "hook" shape of the spring stuck into my right forearm almost 3"8" of and inch, and as the body landed on the transaxle, it trapped my left hand between the body and the transaxle.

So here I am, spring stuck in my right forearm and myleft hand wedged between the body and the damn transaxle.

I could not pull up as the spring kept digging into my arm, and could not get my left had free from under the body.

It was close to 100 degrees ,Floridas famous high humidity, and I am about 1/2 shi--- faced.

Closet neighbor is almost 300 yards away, music turned way up on the outside speakers.

I stayed there for almost 45 minutes before I said FUC--- it and pushed the body over so I could free both my arm and left hand.

Talk about a painful som***** when that mower toppled over with the spring still stuck in my right forearm.

First thing I could think of was "I need another beer"

I kind of got started repairing riding mowers as a hobby, and now I am so busy I turn people away.

About 1 1/2 weeks ago I picked up a riding mower for an elderly couple that really did not have the money for the repair.

After working on it for about 3 days getting it serviced and running again, I discovered the transaxle was bad and needed to be changed.

After speaking with the owners, I told them I had a used transaxle and would do the swap just for the labor.

They were were happy and asked to to proceed.

After unbloting all the bolts, brackets and such I pulled the transaxle out from under the mower.

I used a 4 ton jack to raise the body to make room so I could slide the transaxle, tires and wheels out from under the body.

I had the body supported by an adjustable jack stand.

I them slid in the new transaxle, tires and wheels.

Not thinking, the new tires and wheels were a size larger than the mower originally had on it, so the new assembly would not side right in under the mowers body.

I underestimated the weight of the body, and transaxle and tried to lift the body and slide the transaxle in place.

The damn body fell off the jack stand pulling both my arms down as it dropped.

There is a huge brake return spring in this same location, and as the body dropped, the "hook" shape of the spring stuck into my right forearm almost 3"8" of and inch, and as the body landed on the transaxle, it trapped my left hand between the body and the transaxle.

So here I am, spring stuck in my right forearm and myleft hand wedged between the body and the damn transaxle.

I could not pull up as the spring kept digging into my arm, and could not get my left had free from under the body.

It was close to 100 degrees ,Floridas famous high humidity, and I am about 1/2 shi--- faced.

Closet neighbor is almost 300 yards away, music turned way up on the outside speakers.

I stayed there for almost 45 minutes before I said FUC--- it and pushed the body over so I could free both my arm and left hand.

Talk about a painful som***** when that mower toppled over with the spring still stuck in my right forearm.

First thing I could think of was "I need another beer"

Ay ay ay

No good deed goes unpunished. You need a tetanus shot?

Hey there Mr T

How the hell ya be ?

Have not talked to you in a few days.

You are probably right, as I have not had a teatnus shot is close to 35-40 years.

Last time I had a shot was when I was still working and jumped down on four 16 double headed nails.

They used a "cats paw" ( pry bar ) to pry the 2x4 off my foot.

Your guitar is coming along and it's going to be killer when it's buffed out.

I guess you would classify yesterday as a bad day.

Sore right arm from the spring that hooked me, and left hand looks like it went through a meat grinder.

1501116660[/url]' post='1871409']

Hey there Mr T

How the hell ya be ?

You are probably right, as I have not had a teatnus shot is close to 35-40 years.

Last time I had a shot was when I was still working and jumped down on four 16 double headed nails.

Sore right arm from the spring that hooked me, and left hand looks like it went through a meat grinder.

Double ouch. msp_scared.gif

"Yeaaaahhhh, I got dem ol' 'arms pinned under a Goddam ride-on mower, can't even reach my beer on a hot day' bluuueeesss..."

Glad you out made it out ok in the end!

Sounds like some good lines to a nice blues song, but I don't want to repeat the ordeal again to so the song can be finished.

I got the transaxle in place and it's running good, but it took me a while longer than usual because of the mangled left hand and sore as all hell right forearm .

Think today I will play it safe and work on the three guitars that I am in the middle of painting.

Sounds like some good lines to a nice blues song, but I don't want to repeat the ordeal again to so the song can be finished.

Fair enough, the "...can't even reach my whiskey on a cold night..." verse could be really painful!

Hey there Mr T

How the hell ya be ?

Your guitar is coming along and it's going to be killer when it's buffed out.

I guess you would classify yesterday as a bad day.

Sounds like you gotta rest up and drink lots of beer to heal that mangled hand and arm!

If you were still here I'd volunteer to be your lackey. Fling the mowers off ya, drink yer beer, etc

I got the transaxle in place and it's running good, but it took me a while longer than usual because of the mangled left hand and sore as all hell right forearm .

Think today I will play it safe and work on the three guitars that I am in the middle of painting.

Your a good man for helping those people , hope your hand heals soon

4H

Archived