Gibson Brands Forums

What features would make you buy a new 2018 Les Paul?

StRanger7032

What features on the upcoming 2018 Les Paul line would convince you to buy one. Here's what would get my wallet open: Goldtop with P-90s, full gloss finish, and binding. Basically, the LP Traditional they sold circa 2013, although some weight relief would be nice for me, but not a deal-breaker. I'd drop around $1600-$1700. What would get your GAS flowing?

I like your pick. Gold top with p90s might get me to spend some money too. Throw a factory bigsby on it and I'm sold. I have also always wanted a Les Paul Deluxe in a tobacco burst as well. Looks like I just told Gibson exactly how to get a chunk of money out of me next year!!

I'm pretty good with my Les Pauls. A P90 Goldtop 1956 style Les Paul would be fun, one that's not a $6000 re-issue or whatever they are in the Custom Shop. I'm pretty happy with my P90 Goldtop Tribute though.

I don't know that anything would make me buy another one next year unless I just couldn't resist. I'd like to have a Traditional, maybe a Classic too. I'm pretty good with my Standard right now though and it was the look, feel, and color that made me originally interested. Then after playing, it was even better than I thought it would be just judging by the pictures. I don't really need any more, so it would have to blow me away and I can't think of what would.

A few more finish choices in the Faded, Tribue and Studio range might be nice. They seem kind of limited at the moment, as are the others as well. I guess they choose a few colors and finishes each year. Oh, I know. Please, Gibson, stop making the Gibson USA Les Paul Bourbon Burst Standard forever so that way mine's worth more in the future! Ha! Not that I'd ever sell it but still...

Available now. Not affiliated but in my shopping for a new Guitar ran across these.

Lars

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBESLP9015

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBLPCSBZ17

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBLPST5HT16?siid=179710

Definitely some decent goldtops out there, but none tick all the boxes I want. The 2013 Traditional did, but they're often trying to sell mint ones of those for as much or more than they cost new. I tried out a 2016 Tribute goldtop P-90 last year (the $899 one) and promptly sent it back. I need gloss nitro and binding.

Generally speaking I don't buy new.

Generally speaking, I'll buy at least one Gibson Guitar in 2018.

If I don't buy myself one for Christmas, I'll probably get a Phellum Blue Les Paul Custom Special (or Studio, whatever they're calling them). A five way switch could entice me to buy a new one.... could.

The same colour options across Standard and Traditional ranges would probably be a bit too 'ideal-world' but for me it would be a nice wishlist item, as well as bringing back the choice of a '50s or '60s neck.

The re-introduction of Wine Red, Chicago Blue and / or Manhattan Midnight finishes, and the introduction of some solid metallic finishes like Candy Apple Red with a natural back.

2 models I'd buy in a heartbeat:

Chicago Blue / Manhattan Midnight with natural neck, back and sides; '57 pickups; '50s neck; ABR1 and Bigsby; Nickel hardware.

Candy Apple Red with natural neck, back and sides; P90 pickups; '50s neck; ABR1 and stop tail; Nickel hardware.

I don't think they could come up with anything that would get me to buy another LP in 2018. I bought a new Standard in January of '17 and it has pretty much everything I want - even though I didn't know I wanted all the features when I first got it. But I now love compound radius fretboard, ultra-modern weight relief, locking tuners, and Burstbucker pups.

I really like some of the new finishes on the Custom Shop limited run LPs and if I had unlimited funds I might pick up one or two of those just cause they look good. But my '17 has a nice Honeyburst finish and more features than those guitars so I'll stay with it for quite awhile I think.

a6Na9ii.jpg

I don't think they could come up with anything that would get me to buy another LP in 2018. I bought a new Standard in January of '17 and it has pretty much everything I want - even though I didn't know I wanted all the features when I first got it. But I now love compound radius fretboard, ultra-modern weight relief, locking tuners, and Burstbucker pups.

I really like some of the new finishes on the Custom Shop limited run LPs and if I had unlimited funds I might pick up one or two of those just cause they look good. But my '17 has a nice Honeyburst finish and more features than those guitars so I'll stay with it for quite awhile I think.

a6Na9ii.jpg

Nice! [thumbup] With that color, all it needs now, is an amber toggle swith cap, and "you be stylin'!" [biggrin]

CB

1. First and foremost, ebony fretboard options on Standard & Deluxe models.

2. Thinner neck a la my '81 Deluxe.

3. New color options similar to Fender's old Lake Placid Blue and Cimarron Red: Those colors would look dynamite on Standard/Deluxe models with cream-colored binding, pick guard and other plastic trim parts.

4. A price point WELL UNDER $2,000 where it should be. A few pieces of wood and some wire shouldn't cost $3,500-$4,000, even if it does have the Gibson logo on the headstock.

Fulfill this list and I'll buy three without blinking an eye.

If I happen to play one better than my main guitar I'll buy it.

I was thinking 'Nothing' but actually what Farns says could well do it.

But with my #1 and not Farns' #1, of course...

1. First and foremost, ebony fretboard options on Standard & Deluxe models...

msp_laugh.gif

Well, as we're currently at 65 years and counting in 'our wait' for an ebony 'boarded Standard and 48 years and counting for a similarly appointed DeLuxe I'm fairly sure I'm not going to hold my breath for your "HNGD!" thread. The fact that Gibson no longer use ebony on the Les Paul Custom isn't a good sign for your hopes either...

Pip.

Nothing. Gibson's prices are ridiculous and there are decades of great used LP to choose from. Why pay Gibson's crazy prices when you can let someone else take that hit? I'm not into shiny new guitars anyway, I'd rather mine be a little beat up and dirty.

Well, as we're currently at 65 years and counting in 'our wait' for an ebony 'boarded Standard and 48 years and counting for a similarly appointed DeLuxe I'm fairly sure I'm not going to hold my breath for your "HNGD!" thread. The fact that Gibson no longer use ebony on the Les Paul Custom isn't a good sign for your hopes either...

Pip.

The LP Pro Deluxe models from the 70s-80s had ebony, thought it would be (and should have been all this time) the natural progression of options. And Gibson doesn't use ebony on the Customs any more? Shows you how long I've been out of touch with the guitar world. When did that happen, and what are they using now?

ETA: Pippy, Does the Imperial War Museum still have those beautiful Spitfires on display? I should have been flying with 610 Squadron during the Battle of Britain.

The LP Pro Deluxe models from the 70s-80s had ebony, thought it would be (and should have been all this time) the natural progression of options. And Gibson doesn't use ebony on the Customs any more? Shows you how long I've been out of touch with the guitar world. When did that happen, and what are they using now?

ETA: Pippy, Does the Imperial War Museum still have those beautiful Spitfires on display? I should have been flying with 610 Squadron during the Battle of Britain.

Hi Vince.

To answer your last question first;

Yes; after its makeover a few years back it still has a Spit (1a?) which flew with, oddly enough, 609 Squadron but if you want to see more than this one example then the IWM's Duxford premises is the place to go. Superb museum in every respect and with the emphasis almost 100% on flight.

As far as the Pro-DeLuxe goes; yes. Lovely guitar. I remember them coming out. They still crop up quite often in the used market amongst the London dealerships but not too often in great condition.

Ebony was phased out, on Gibson USA-line and some CS instruments, around 2010 / 11 if I remember correctly. Sustainable sources of ebony are pretty much non-existent and according to a few sources on the web Taylor Guitars has bought-up the rights to most of the remaining stockpile around the globe. Apparently it takes upwards of 150 years for an ebony tree to be large enough for useful harvesting and we have all simply been using it up too quickly and indiscriminately.

Gibson's substitute for the LP Custom was a man-made phenolic resin-based material which goes by the trade name Richlite. Opinions are polarised as to whether this is merely heresy or else a crime against mankind. It's clear no-one really approves of its use on the LPC despite it being (IMO) a very good-playing surface in its own right.

Pip.

Just thought of two more things;

Reintroduction of the LP Deluxe as a permanent member of the line-up, as it rightfully should be.

SG Standard with P90's, a la 2016, in Natural Burst.

Archived