Gibson Brands Forums

Finally got the 1948 J-50 in the studio. Vanity Post (Ha!)

bayoubengal1954

The duo project with Ruby Ross. We are recording a six song EP. Here is a preview mix (may be some slight tweaking of the mix later) of us doing my song "Things We Can't Control". I'm doing the finger-picking on the '48 J-50 and Ruby is strumming on her DX Series Martin Dread. We are recording these songs live in the studio with no overdubs. Just four channels, micing the two guitars and our two voices facing each other in a small room, mixing as if you were in the little room listening to us unplugged. As you would guess the J-50 holds down a lot of the low end since the DX laminate is a bit bright.

It was fun, but also a little nerve wracking!

https://soundcloud.com/nolamericana/things-we-cant-control

The duo project with Ruby Ross. We are recording a six song EP. Here is a preview mix (may be some slight tweaking of the mix later) of us doing my song "Things We Can't Control". I'm doing the finger-picking on the '48 J-50 and Ruby is strumming on her DX Series Martin Dread. We are recording these songs live in the studio with no overdubs. Just four channels, micing the two guitars and our two voices facing each other in a small room, mixing as if you were in the little room listening to us unplugged. As you would guess the J-50 holds down a lot of the low end since the DX laminate is a bit bright.

It was fun, but also a little nerve wracking!

https://soundcloud.com/nolamericana/things-we-cant-control

That was more than wonderful and the harmonies were especially noteworthy.

Nice tune! The guitars sound very good.......until the vocal begins, then the instruments seem like they're across the room, far away from the microphones. Not near as much presence as the vocal tracks. By intent?

Your point is well taken, Buc. It is on purpose since I tend to like singer/songwriter stuff with the vocals up in the mix. The mix is not final, though. 😉 Probably my old ears.

This was fun-- I, too, like vocals up in the mix for this style. Don't put them back too far in your final, if you're inclined to nudge them at all.

Good stuff!

Thanks, Anne. That is my personal preference as well. No one is right or wrong on this type of thing. If there is any nudging in the final mix it will be just a smidge, probably hardly noticeable. ;)

Archived