Gibson Brands Forums

Humbucker ???

Larsongs

I own a 2013 Gibson Memphis ES335 Dot reissue. I believe they all came with 57 Classics. Is that correct?

I also have a 2002 LP Std Plus with 490R & 490T Pickups.

I just got a new ES Les Paul with MHS Pickups.

Does anyone know the difference between the 57 Classics, 490R, 490T & the MHS HB's? Please explain.

Thanks,

Lars

As you can see in the chart, they are very similar. The 57 Classic measures at 8.3k ohms according to Gibson. I don't have any so I can't measure them. However, I just measured my 490R (7.6K) and 490T (7.96K). The 490R and 490T also have a slightly accentuated upper midrange whereas the 57 Classic is flatter in EQ.

I am not sure where the Memphis Historic Series (MHS) pickups fitted to my ES345 1959 Reissue fit in with that chart. The MHS pickups are supposed to be the Memphis take on a recreation of the original PAF.

Whether or not this succeeded, IMO they are the best pickups I have come across and that includes my Bare Knuckle "Mules" fitted to my Yamaha SG2000.

ASpREF2h.jpg

Many years ago I had a 1959 ES345 that I never should've got rid of. Many many Guitars later I realize those were the best Pickups I've ever heard. Finally, I just got a new Gibson Blacktop ES Les Paul with MHS Pickups. I'm not saying they sound as good but they are very very close. I'm very impressed with tis Guitar.

Is there a comparison Chart for Original 50's PAF's & the new MHS Pickups?

Lars

ASpREF2h.jpg

Many years ago I had a 1959 ES345 that I never should've got rid of. Many many Guitars later I realize those were the best Pickups I've ever heard. Finally, I just got a new Gibson Blacktop ES Les Paul with MHS Pickups. I'm not saying they sound as good but they are very very close. I'm very impressed with tis Guitar.

Lars

Lars

Yeah, the proverbial "PAF" tone has been chased and chased. The chart above only shows output. There is of course a lot more to it than that. But notice most of the pickups cluster around that 7K-8K ohm range. That seems to be where most of those early PAFs measured.

Yeah, the proverbial "PAF" tone has been chased and chased. The chart above only shows output. There is of course a lot more to it than that. But notice most of the pickups cluster around that 7K-8K ohm range. That seems to be where most of those early PAFs measured.

I wonder if these MHS Pickups are in the same range as the Original PAF's. They sure do sound like it..

I wonder if these MHS Pickups are in the same range as the Original PAF's. They sure do sound like it..

I have read them described as "underwound", so probably slightly lower output than the 57 Classics. I can't much on the interwebz where someone has actually measured them. I did find that the coils are purposely unbalanced (more wire on one coil than the other). Gibson does this on the Burstbuckers as well. Supposed to replicate old inconsistencies in the hand winding.

They are also not wax potted so they will likely squeal like a pig if provoked with some high gain. [biggrin]

Here's a description I found on a bulleting board.. not official though...

"the new MHS (Memphis Historic Series?) pickups which use Alnico 3 in the neck and Alnico 2 magnets for the bridge. Output of 7.5K neck and 7.8 bridge. Just like the original PAF these pickups are unpotted... Also the construction and materials (including wire gauge, wooden spacers, etc.) are truer to an authentic PAF."

I played some PAFs as a kid and 57 classic/classic plus is as close as I've ever played since.

rct

Were on the old TascamForum? Your Avantar looks familiar. I had a Tascam 2488 (still do) & have a Pro Tools Studio now. I went by by Lucky. Actually I still do but somebody already took that name here. So I use Lars. Short for Larson.

Were on the old TascamForum? Your Avantar looks familiar. I had a Tascam 2488 (still do) & have a Pro Tools Studio now. I went by by Lucky. Actually I still do but somebody already took that name here. So I use Lars. Short for Larson.

I was! Still have the 2488 but haven't used it in quite a while, replaced it with a DP32.

rct

I was! Still have the 2488 but haven't used it in quite a while, replaced it with a DP32.

rct

I still have mine but don't use it. It's in perfect condition. I miss the old Forum. Cool bunch of guys & was very helpful with the learning curves of Digital Recording.

Lats

I still have mine but don't use it. It's in perfect condition. I miss the old Forum. Cool bunch of guys & was very helpful with the learning curves of Digital Recording.

Lats

It really was a good place. I learned a ton there and was never really able to give back.

Mine started having the button issues, three pushes to do one thing, then 5, soon 6 or 7 button hits to return to 0 or stop. It made it a good ten years before I had to replace it.

rct

...Humbucker Pickups for Electric Guirars. There. Maybe we can get back on Track...

There has been a bit of a discussion about the MHS p'ups over in the Memphis section. Most folks who replied seem to like them but a few also say they are rather similar to '57 Classics so if, as you say, you already have '57s fitted in your 335 you might not get much change of tone;

http://forum.gibson....48#entry1844448

Pip.

There has been a bit of a discussion about the MHS p'ups over in the Memphis section. Most folks who replied seem to like them but a few also say they are rather similar to '57 Classics so if, as you say, you already have '57s fitted in your 335 you might not get much change of tone;

http://forum.gibson....48#entry1844448

Pip.

They sound different than the 57's in my 335. May be the Guitar construction, woods or size difference? I don't know? The 57's sound nothing like the Original PAF's that were in my 1959 ES345 IMO. But, these MHS sound very close IMO.

Thanks,

Lars

They sound different than the 57's in my 335. May be the Guitar construction, woods or size difference?...

I can well believe it.

I have '57 Classics in a pair of LPs - an R9 and an R0 - and yet the guitars sound very different from one another despite their being made with the same bits of kit.

Pip.

Archived