Gibson Brands Forums

NGD!

darling67

Just brought home this beauty from the Guitar Center in Hollywood...

There was a gold Gretsch Duo Jet on a stand right near it (near the floor model), and I was going to and fro between the two for a while. In the end, I decided on the guitar I went there intending to buy.

I love it. Nice neck (the Gretsch's neck felt less substantial), and warm "acoustic" tones unplugged. Can't wait to plug her in and see what she can do!

20170729_122530_zpsokiqrwot.jpg20170729_123110_zpshghj5n1q.jpg

20170729_122653_zps0ky58iid.jpg20170729_122541_zps5uihkjky.jpg

Just brought home this beauty from the Guitar Center in Hollywood...

There was a gold Gretsch Duo Jet on a stand right near it (near the floor model), and I was going to and fro between the two for a while. In the end, I decided on the guitar I went there intending to buy.

I love it. Nice neck (the Gretsch's neck felt less substantial), and warm "acoustic" tones unplugged. Can't wait to plug her in and see what she can do!

20170729_122530_zpsokiqrwot.jpg20170729_123110_zpshghj5n1q.jpg

20170729_122653_zps0ky58iid.jpg20170729_122541_zps5uihkjky.jpg

Stunning! [drool]

A beauty no doubt and congratulations.

I was shocked to read in your post though that you bought it at a retailer, and didn't plug it into an amp to hear what it sounded like. I guess you knew what you were going after - but I would've tried it just to make sure all the electronics worked [scared] That demonstrates a lot of trust on your part in this day and age!!

Regardless, hope you enjoy it greatly. [thumbup]

A beauty no doubt and congratulations.

I was shocked to read in your post though that you bought it at a retailer, and didn't plug it into an amp to hear what it sounded like. I guess you knew what you were going after - but I would've tried it just to make sure all the electronics worked [scared] That demonstrates a lot of trust on your part in this day and age!!

Regardless, hope you enjoy it greatly. [thumbup]

Thanks, everyone for all the "NGD love"! [thumbup]

Twang, I think it's more a matter of how the guitar feels to me. Hard to explain, but if I were blindfolded while playing the Gretsch and Wildkat side-by-side, I'd have thought the Wildcat was a much larger guitar. The neck was "rounder"-feeling and the sound was bigger (of course, being a semi-hollow while the Gretsch was "chambered"). But I am also one of those "shy" players who avoids making noise in a guitar store. 8-[

I've had pretty good luck with buying guitars either sight unseen or without playing plugged-in. I suspect this one won't disappoint.

Archived