Gibson Brands Forums

In Praise of Epi Acoustics

Stringbreaker

Paraphrasing my post at another "little" forum I participate in -

"I recently gave away my Gibson acoustic, a Hummingbird Pro, and therefore have had to depend on an inexpensive Epi EJ-200 for my "gigging" needs. I play lead acoustic, frequently lead instrument, for a worship band at my church. The reason I gave the Gibson away is detailed here - basically at the end of this year I'm going to "retire" from the band, and donated the instrument to a promising young guitarist.

After the first 30 days or so of leaning on my Epi, I have to say it surprisingly compares very favorably to the Gibson and in some areas actually outperforms its more expensive cousin. For reference, I traded for both the Gibson and the Epi but the Epi lists for a modest $399 and the Hummingbird Pro was about $2100.

Y'all know, if you read my posts, I'm partial to Gibson and have played various Gibson acoustics since the 1970s. However, I also love cheapo PacRim guitars for their sheer practicality on stage -- especially Epiphone and Ibanez.

The EJ-200 (which is the guitar I used in the "Garage" videos in my sig) is an Indonesian Samick (2012) and has proven to be the equal or better in almost every area to the Gibson for my purposes. The Gibson kills the Epi in the tone department, no doubt, but the Epi plays easier; has better (more useful) electronics; looks cooler; has better tuners (both use Grover Rotomatics, but the Epi's seem to work smoother); I like the Gloss finish on the Epi instead of the overly sensitive Nitro on the Gibby; the Epi has an equal build quality; etc. etc.

Anyway, I thought I would give a shout-out to my cool Epiphone EJ-200. Rock on Garth!!!!"

You mention you play leads.

My experience is that lately I prefer my Epiphones for the lead instrumental work I play. Love my Gibsons for their boomingness, but there definitely is something about how my Epiphones hit the mark for my lead instrumentals.

Just my two cents.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I've got an EJ-200 Artist and it's a fantastic piece; I traded about 4 really cheap nasty starter guitars for it with a bit of cash, too. So percussive and responsive; it's great!

I've got an EJ-200 Artist and it's a fantastic piece; I traded about 4 really cheap nasty starter guitars for it with a bit of cash, too. So percussive and responsive; it's great!

I have the same model, removed the pickguard, and found it to be pretty darn nice.

Id give anything to own a gibson my dream is to one day own a j45. Im in no way calling anyone on this forum or meen to sound like im insulting anyone .but sometimes people who have plenty of cash that can aford a gibson or any other expensive guitar tend to act a little snobery to people who play lower the range instruments like epiphone. Im im no way saying you have acted this way far from it .in fact you have proven to these kind of people that epiphone are a great company that make great guitars. Ive recently just got a cherry sunburst epiphone texan inspired 1964 .made in indonesia and its superb. Compared to a a gibson j45 tone wise id give the texan a 8 and the j45 a 10 but thats my opinion

Cheers Richie

Archived