Gibson Brands Forums

Kramer SM-1 Serial Number

JJC

Hi! I'm new here. I recently purchased a new Kramer SM-1 from the Gibson Showcase in Memphis. Admittedly, I have much to learn about the guitar. I'd like to start with the serial number. In addition to the number, I noticed a "2ND" stamped into the tip of the headstock, too. I'm not sure what it means. Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need anything further from me. Thanks so much for any light you can shed on this!

post-86542-077244900 1501525235_thumb.jpg

post-86542-085031700 1501525253_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I'm new here. I recently purchased a new Kramer SM-1 from the Gibson Showcase in Memphis. Admittedly, I have much to learn about the guitar. I'd like to start with the serial number. In addition to the number, I noticed a "2ND" stamped into the tip of the headstock, too. I'm not sure what it means. Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need anything further from me. Thanks so much for any light you can shed on this!

I don't know much at all about Kramers but Gibson used to stamp Second on the back of their headstocks if there was something minor wrong with it. From what I understand, the guitar was fine but maybe a minor flaw in the finish or some other minor issue. People used to care a whole lot about things being marked in that way. In the mid 80's, Gibson quit stamping them and now people don't seem to care as much about the Second, 2nd or @ stamp on the back. I'm guessing that's what the designation is on your guitar but don't hold me to it.

Archived