Gibson Brands Forums

If you had to pick just one...the "Desert Island Guitar" thread.

Jinder

Okay, ignore the fact that humidity issues would be a nightmare on a desert island...but if you had to pick just one acoustic guitar to do it all for the rest of your days, what would it be?

For me, the SJ200. It's a VERY close run thing between the 200, the Dove and the Hummingbird, but I've played SJ200s as my main stage, writing and recording guitar for well over a decade and eight of my ten albums have been made using an SJ200 of some description. They fit me (I'm a 6'7", 260lb guy so like a big guitar!), the neck just falls where my hands live and the tone is big, brave and beautiful.

Plus, Townes Van Zandt, Rev. Gary Davis, Emmylou and countless others can't be wrong...

How about you?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering my annual crush on a specific guitar changes, err, annually...I have to be very careful how I would answer this question as undoubtedly I'd grow bored with whatever guitar I would say is my answer. So maybe my answer really is any of the guitars I presently own, provided there is a lifetime of strings and a wire clipper in the case (or

gigbag).

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Okay, ignore the fact that humidity issues would be a nightmare on a desert island...but if you had to pick just one acoustic guitar to do it all for the rest of your days, what would it be?

For me, the SJ200. It's a VERY close run thing between the 200, the Dove and the Hummingbird, but I've played SJ200s as my main stage, writing and recording guitar for well over a decade and eight of my ten albums have been made using an SJ200 of some description. They fit me (I'm a 6'7", 260lb guy so like a big guitar!), the neck just falls where my hands live and the tone is big, brave and beautiful.

Plus, Townes Van Zandt, Rev. Gary Davis, Emmylou and countless others can't be wrong...

How about you?

Amos Lee is one of my favorite singer/songwriters. He has always played a SJ-200 and I wanted to get one too. I tried my first SJ at Music Villa on a trip to Yellowstone and I was unprepared for how big it would be. Then I saw Amos in concert and he's a big dude. It did not come across to me in the music videos or on Austin City Limits. That's because on Amos a SJ-200 looks like a fairly normal sized guitar.

"I say, you chaps lying on the sand there, would you be so kind as to give me a hand with these guitar cases that need taking from the boat up to the hut?" [mellow]

Can I have 5? I need at least 3 for standard tuning, slide, DADGAD respectively, so I need the 37 Gibson L-0, Lowden S35, Cargill custom, Martin OM18 Authentic, National Tricone, and I am not sure because I only just got it and it still needs setting up but pretty sure I want my Lowden O22.... Oh, that makes 6? May as well add the J45 to make it 7![biggrin]

That should cover it.

BluesKing777.

Ever seen those double-cases with a broad leather handle, a total of 10 latches and a lid on each side.

Well, neither have I, , , but just made it up.

And in it I got a HD-28V and a Bird.

The case of course can be used as a boat to get away in when you and the sea has calmed down. Say after 3 weeks.

Which guitar to leave back on shore, , , still not sure. .

If I forgot the nail clippers, flat picks, and the digital tuner it would hardly matter. I remember how tuning was such a hassle before digi clip-ons. Sad. I think I'd end up drowning myself if I couldn't get the L00 in tune after fighting the B-G string interval the way I used to.

Under the circumstances though, maybe the composite type guitar that Nick takes on his 'death wish' summer sail is the best pick.

Some good points there, JZ and Cowboy - we don't want be on an episode of Survivor Comedy Guitar Hour, so yes - tuners, strings, capos, clippers, wipe cloth, slides, music stand, tab books, music book, iPad for music/forums, iPhone, WeberQ, Esky - what are we eating/drinking and where are we sleeping? [confused]

BluesKing777.

Actually the cliche "desert" island is an illogical abridgement of the original "deserted island". I think it loses its deserted status once you bring nail clippers. And strings. And tuners. I've not seen a string winder mentioned, so we really ARE roughing it in the spirit of the game I suppose. How about a Wilson soccer ball to talk to?

Guy was rescued on a deserted island...

They asked him about the 3 huts he had built. He said the 1st was where he lived/slept. The 2nd was his church. They asked him about the 3rd, he said it was the old church but he didn't go there anymore.

Archived