Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Gibson Memphis Blacktop ES Les Paul w/Bigsby

Larsongs

After letting it adjust to room temp as I live in Palm Springs, Ca. & it's Hot! opened it up & it was beautiful! Black w/ B-7 Bigsby!!

I plugged it into my Stereo Amp Rig. Vox AC15 w/Alnico Blue & a Fender 65 DRRI. I switched back & forth from Vox to Fender & then played both in Stereo. I've had many Guitars since I foolishly sold my 1959 Gibson ES345 w/ Original PAF's several years ago & none of them had a sound that satisfied me. I think these MHS Pickups come very very close. I really like their Sound as they are reminiscent of my ES345.

After a visit to my Luthier for complete inspection & having it Set Up the way I like it, I played it for a while. Before putting it away I cleaned & Polished it.

I happened to turn the Headstock at an angle while polishing & when the light hit & I noticed what appear to be 2 poorly Filled & Painted Holes that were Drilled in the wrong place for the 1st & 2nd String Tuners! I have no idea what happened! How did it get out of the Gibson Factory???

I don't know if it could ever affect the Headstock but I do know at some point should I ever wish to sell it I'd have to disclose it & it will affect it's value. Im the one who's going to take the hit.

It plays great, sounds great & is otherwise great. Not sure what to do? These were Factory Special Run & they're sold out. They may have one more coming. Who knows when?

What would you do if you were in my Shoes?

Thanks,

Lars

Personally, I'd send it back, if this bothers you now, it will always bother you and as you say you've got to think of the re-sale value. This is not a cheap guitar and second best ain't good enough.

Ian

When you purchased it, are you sure it wasn't priced as B Stock or something like that?

I'm not recommending what you should do. But I'm just saying, knowing the way I am I would probably keep it. If I loved everything about the guitar other than those hidden holes, sending it back would be too much trouble for me and I could live with the holes. Again that's just me and I'm probably in the minority on that. I probably would let the dealer know that I know, if you know what I mean. rolleyes.gif

Perhaps to entice you not to return the guitar, they will give you some incentive.

I would be absolutely livid. This should not ever happen. Where was Gibson's QC when this went out the door? [cursing] From what you are describing I mean - this is something that a person should not even have to look for. Do whatever makes you feel is right for you - but I would send it back.

Can you post a photo of this? I would like to see it. Thanks!

I would send it back, period.

These guitars get out of the factory because I have heard (locally) that Henry gets a report of each guitar that does not meet QC and may even inspect it himself. I bet it is a lot easier for factory workers to simply send out the guitars out the factory and keep the good numbers up.

Gibson does not have "B stock" or stamp as "used" when there are flaws, they simply send the guitars out and hope people will not return them since a lot of guitars are bought online.

I'm going to try to take pics but being Black the light has to hit it at just the right angle to see them.

It was represented as brand new. Not Blem, B Stock, Return, Dent & Sctratch etc.

I would consider the Seller returning it to Gibson for proper Repair, replacement of Neck or replacement of the Guitar. Am I being reasonable?

This really bums me out! Especially since there were 2 other Guitars I could've got but both are gone now.

Thanks for your replies,

Lars

I would consider the Seller returning it to Gibson for proper Repair, replacement of Neck or replacement of the Guitar. Am I being reasonable?

Only you know this.

If it is that hard to see I would probably forget it is there overnight and never think about it again if it did what I need it to do.

rct

Without having seen a picture, my first thought is I would probably live with it if all else was as described............... and though, that is what Gibson is hoping you as the buyer will decide!

* I have a black 335 with a finish flaw on the upper ear visible in certain light . Sometimes I still get a little irritated to this day, so I know what you're feeling regarding your new one.

Only you know this.

If it is that hard to see I would probably forget it is there overnight and never think about it again if it did what I need it to do.

rct

I tend to feel the same way but in this case it's such an expensive guitar I think it would bother me if it came noticeably blemished.

I think the OP needs to contact the seller immediately to at least get an idea of what options he has, otherwise he might be out of luck pretty soon. I highly doubt that this is something Gibson would repair though. If they did, the guitar would probably come back with the same problem or a new problem

There really is NO excuse, for that, in a brand new, expensive or not, guitar! IF it were ME, I'd photo document

the flaw (even if it is "hard to see"), contact Gibson Customer Service, get the name of the CS person, make arrangements

with them, to have it shipped back, to the factory, and kindly demand a new (same model, same color, same spec's...but

without the incorrectly drilled holes, this time, etc.) The more "We" as consumers overlook these kind of "flaws" in

workmanship, and don't send them back, the "lazier" they'll get, about checking them, properly! Just remember to "kill

'em with kindness," as you pursue this. Hostility, will only get you defensiveness, and hostility, in return. Be firm,

but as kind and understanding, as you can manage! It's worked really well, with me, with Gibson CS (and other's), in the

past.

But, that's just my recommendation. [tongue][biggrin]

CB

Personally I'd send it back.

I know the problem is there and it would "eat" at me. There is no way that guitar should have been sold without attention been drawn to its deficit.

Without having seen a picture, my first thought is I would probably live with it if all else was as described............... and though, that is what Gibson is hoping you as the buyer will decide!

* I have a black 335 with a finish flaw on the upper ear visible in certain light . Sometimes I still get a little irritated to this day, so I know what you're feeling regarding your new one.

Sorry to change the subject but when I saw your location I thought - c'mon he made that up - and now that I've googled it - I see that in fact you didn't [omg]

Rabbit-hash.jpg

In my reading about your town - I also have to ask: Did you folks really appoint a Dog as your mayor? :)

Boy that sucks. I know you researched and looked long and hard for this guitar and to finally get it and find that is so disappointing. Since it plays and sounds the way you like, I'd be tempted to keep it. But if you are going to do something about it, now is the time while it is still returnable. I'd go to the seller first and see what they are willing to do. As CB said be very nice and just say hey guys I really like this guitar but I found a problem. If they really want to keep you as a customer I would think they'd be willing to return this one and order another for you.

But I'm not sure what sort of return policy Gibson has with their dealers. But I'd start there and then climb the ladder with Gibson if needed.

Sorry this wasn't the great experience it should have been.

I sent them a picture & am proceeding with an exchange on one they are supposed to have on the 14th. But, I've been down that road before on a Special Order Guitar that never did materialize.

One thing I've learned, there is no shortage of Guitars & great deals. A new Gretsch GH Duo Jet, like the one I was considering that sold before I bought this ES, has become available at a deal that's almost too good to pass up.

Wish I could have both!

Thanks,

Lars

The Seller's have been very good so far. I sent the Guitar back Thurs. Aug. 3, 2017 via UPS. They paid for shipping.

They haven't been able to confirm the date on the new one coming from Gibson? That concerns me. If it arrives on time & everything is fine with it all will be cool. If not, I'm missing a great deal on another Guitar that was on my list.

Should I or shouldn't I? Bird in the hand kinda thing maybe?

It reminds me of the Lovin' Spoonful tune, "Did you Ever Have To Make Up Your Mind".

What would you do if you were me?

Thanks,

Lars

Archived