Gibson Brands Forums

2016 Les Paul CM Black

Guitar Drummer

Guest Farnsbarns

Ah, that could be. The body IS African Mahogany.

African mahogany? Not sure there's any such thing as African mahogany? Sure it's not sapele or utile?

Ovankgol, Sappelle(whatever), and Bubinga have all worn the name "African Mahogany" over the last two decades or so. None of them are anything like actual mahogany, but there it is.

rct

Something way back in the depths of my mind makes me think that the store rep shitteth you not...I think the orginals ones might actually have been CM for chick magnet. They were a more basic guitar and cost even less (Cheap Model ?? [biggrin]) so maybe Gibson just stuck with that for their less expensive black model. ...but yeah, I think the rep might have had it right.

I have a SG CM Black. My understanding is that the CM is for Chick Magnet, or so a Gibson customer service rep said to me on the phone. These guitars are great lightweight metal machines but they are pretty ugly.

Thanks for the trolling. Best of luck with your forum, and enjoy being told whatever makes you feel good by the corporation.

It's a fun place, comedy is often mistaken for "trolling". I can assure you, nobody here feels good about anything the company tells us. The best critics you can ever have are the people that have a couple few of your guitars, and they very nicely provide us this place to harangue them. Hang in there and get the hang of it.

rct

What does "CM" mean?

I asked one rep at the store, and he said he did not know. Another rep joked that it means "Chick Magnet," and sauntered off. ...

Anyone know?

The rep wasn't joking at all. It does mean Chick Magnet indeed. The joke originates from Gibson so to say.

Trolling?

Back in post 10 I (honestly) stated that I thought it might be chick magnet from memory of a $699 single pickup LP a few years back which had perhaps been carried over to your later model. Seems others also believe this to be the case. That's not trolling you, that's an attempt to honestly answer your question. If you don't like the answer, that's unfortunate, but there it is.

Trolling?

Back in post 10 I (honestly) stated that I thought it might be chick magnet from memory of a $699 single pickup LP a few years back which had perhaps been carried over to your later model. Seems others also believe this to be the case. That's not trolling you, that's an attempt to honestly answer your question. If you don't like the answer, that's unfortunate, but there it is.

After trolling in the first place, further trolling by defending your trolling posts as not being trolling is the first rule of The Troll Club.

rct

After trolling in the first place, further trolling by defending your trolling posts as not being trolling is the first rule of The Troll Club.

rct

Cool! I've never had a mentor before!

...I shall study hard Sensei.

Archived