• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Farnsbarns

Gibson introduces Guitar w/Built in Overdrive

And 642 people start separate threads about it. [lol]

Sorry, rev. Couldn't resist.

Sorry.Admin please delete...

I don't see the need to delete it here in the lounge. Not everyone goes into the LP sub-forum so a thread here will reach some members who would otherwise miss it.

As far as the giutar itself goes; my immediate reaction was that it's an answer to a question which hasn't been asked but then again, considering the number of folks who always play with some sort of O/D pedal in their signal chain, it might be useful - especially if the circuitry incorporated is of a popular type such as (I'm led to believe) a Tube-Screamer.

The guitar pictured looks very good and I'm sure it will be very well made. The extra-wiring is definitely not my cuppa but I'm hardly representative of the target market. I don't see Gibson shifting many of these but I'm sure they will have already thought this aspect through. Purists will, no doubt, consider mucking about with R-I circuitry as blasphemous but, as always, the buying public will decide whether it's a good idea or not. If one were to buy such a guitar and decided that, after all, the FX was a waste of time then my guess is that it could be removed and replaced using 'proper' '50s style wiring leaving not a single tell-tale sign of the gubbins presently installed.

Perhaps it would have had a better reception had it appeared on something like the LP Standard or Traditional instead of putting it in a $5,700 Re-Issue?

I'm not sure how the wiring all fits but if it were to be wholly contained attached to the new back-plate unit then it might have been seen as an 'attractive' aftermarket add-on?

Just a thought.

Here's the official Gibson link;

http://www.gibson.co...ly-figured.aspx

I do like the colour options. Very much.

Pip.

Er, actually we did it here in the lounge too Pip, a coupla weeks back maybe. [laugh]...

That why they call me 'Mr.FingerOnThePulse' (although apparently, with the quirkiness common to English proper names, it's pronounced 'Pratt').

msp_biggrin.gif

Pip.

The question is..Why? I've read in other media that Gibson have loads of custom shop guitars unsold. I see all of these ways of trying to sell these guitars, it makes me wonder if it's true. Like Fender, Gibson have too many models and need to increase quality more than have gimmicks. I watched a video of Heritage guitars last night. I've never seen them in person, but what is their quality like against Gibson? I also see many luthier's making Les Pauls and they sell everyone. eg, Pete Thorn has one.

Interesting...I think down here we pronounce it with a 'T'. [smile]

Ahh. They are part of a different, but related, clan, Scales; the Dumfries and Galloway Twatt-Pratts.

...I've read in other media that Gibson have loads of custom shop guitars unsold. I see all of these ways of trying to sell these guitars, it makes me wonder if it's true...

...I watched a video of Heritage guitars last night. I've never seen them in person, but what is their quality like against Gibson?...

Very possibly. That would help to explain those hideously bizarre solid-colour-painted-over-the-top-of-a-beautiful-'burst RI's we saw a few months ago.

As far as Heritage is concerned;

I really like the idea of Heritage and I've seen - and heard - a few beauties being played but some members here have had direct experience with them and they were less than impressed. I'm sure rct has voiced his own tales of woe in their regard. I'd like to try one out for myself but we don't see too many even here in London. In fact the last one I saw - an f-hole jazz-box variant - was being played by a brilliant guitarist in a Manouche-style Gypsy-Jazz band in the south-west of France.

It looked REALLY nice and he made it sound fantastic. Perhaps not all of them are bad?...

Pip.

Ahh. They are part of a different, but related, clan, Scales; the Dumfries and Galloway Twatt-Pratts.

Pip.

Yeah, see, this is where I get a bit lost. I mean, I'm supposedly descended from Olaf the Black...but seriously, how black can a dude named Olaf be? I suppose 'Olaf the ever so slightly tanned' lacks clannish gravitas, but ...you know?

Conversely, a great friend of mine is a Dougall. Now he claims that the Dougall's were the only clan to have pink in their tartan and that in the Clan Wars they mainly fought amongst themselves. This I can completely believe.

...so history seems a bit hit and miss to me. [confused]

At the risk of going a degree (or, possibly, two) off-topic...

Yeah, see, this is where I get a bit lost. I mean, I'm supposedly descended from Olaf the Black...but seriously, how black can a dude named Olaf be? I suppose 'Olaf the ever so slightly tanned' lacks clannish gravitas, but ...you know?

msp_laugh.gif

...a great friend of mine is a Dougall. Now he claims that the Dougall's were the only clan to have pink in their tartan and that in the Clan Wars they mainly fought amongst themselves...

Well, it's more of a mild-ish Magenta really but, in any case; as the Dougalls' weapons of choice were well-lathered loofahs I think 'Clan Wars' is putting it a bit strong.

...so history seems a bit hit and miss to me. [confused]...

You might simply be getting your own history and that of your friend muxed ip.

'Dougall' is derived from the Gaelic dubh-gall - and everyone who ever bought Thin Lizzy's 'Black Rose' album knows that 'dubh' means 'black'...

msp_wink.gif

Pip.

Now, You ain't calling me a Dougall here are you?

It's a darn sight better than being a Campbell............msp_angry.gif...........Oops...did I say that out loud?.............msp_laugh.gif............Ha! Ha!....j/k all you nice, wonderful Campbells!

Hey, it's all water under the bridge now. 325 years? Pshaw. Who ever heard of anyone holding a grudge that long?

Errmm...the Macdonalds?

Sign in the Clachaig Inn, Glencoe;

Sign_in_Clachaig_Inn_Glencoe.jpg

I'm sure the last time I was there it said 'No Hawkers, Dogs or Campbells'. Glad to see they've relaxed the rules appropriately.

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

Guest Farnsbarns

All this business about clan tartans is ridiculous. Entirely invented in the Victorian era by fanciful types who romanticised the history. Tartan is English. The Kilt is English. Grahame-bell stole the idea for he telephone and Scotland is generally rubbish.

I... I may have made slightly too fine a point there.

Don't worry the thread will be deleted in due course.

Well I reported my own thread to the Admins last night & it's still here I see. Besides - you & Pippy and your Clan discussions are way more interesting than this Burstdriver [biggrin]

You chaps crack me up [thumbup]

All this business about clan tartans is ridiculous...

No. Not quite all of it.

Entirely invented in the Victorian era by fanciful types who romanticised the history...

Absolutely. Trust the Bloody English.

Tartan is English...

Erm...no. It's probably Roman. A pretty basic version of tartan dates at least as far back as the Roman occupation of This Sceptred Isle. Several fragments of such a woven, patterned fabric exist in the museum which serves the former Roman garrison's barracks at Segedunum at the eastern extremity of Hadrian's Wall.

The Kilt is English...

Erm, no. We can take the credit for that man-skirt ourselves thank you very much. Always in the avant-garde where cross-dressing is concerned.

Grahame-bell stole the idea for the telephone...

It's 'Graham-Bell' and I'm sure you'll be hearing from Lexy's lawyers in due course. By telephone, I expect.

Scotland is generally rubbish...

But we have a Loch Ness Monster and you don't. Eat My Shorts.

I... I may have made slightly too fine a point there...

You certainly picked the wrong Bloody Windbag to heckle...

Pip.

I live in Galloway.

Belted? Or do you prefer suspenders?

msp_laugh.gif..................oh, never mind. My material is wasted on you oiks..................msp_sneaky.gif..................

Pip.

(That's one for the farmers amongst us)

Have you ever been to Scotland?

IIRC Farns is part Scottish himself.........eusa_think.gif..........don't know which part, though. Although judging by his behaviour when it's time to buy a round it must be quite a big part.

Pip.

... Besides - you & Pippy and your Clan discussions are way more interesting than this Burstdriver [biggrin]

You chaps crack me up [thumbup]

Me too! [biggrin]

... We can take the credit for that man-skirt ourselves thank you very much. Always in the avant-garde where cross-dressing is concerned.

Pip.

[laugh]

Archived