Gibson Brands Forums

Uneven wings

Tim35

Hi all! New here posting...I have had my j35 for three weeks and totally in awe.

It is perfect ...except for a new discovery...the other day I looked at the headstock in just the right light and angle and noticed what appeared to be a crack...I think it is actually the wing was a little off and wasnt sanded completely. I have no clue how to post pics but was wondering if you Gibson acoustic experts have any thoughts? I would hate to even take it back as it would be like returning a puppy that has one ear shorter than the other but your already in love! Should I be concerned or just keep playing the heck out of it? Btw....I am a total Gibson convert...my 2 Martins have been lonely...

Welcome to our little world! And congrats on snagging a great guitar!! You'll certainly get several responses on your dilemma, but I'll kick it off.

No, I can't say I recall hearing about an issue with the wings on the headstock being uneven or flawed on Gibson's in this century. But my memory isn't what it use to be! Of course, producing thousands of guitars, there will always be something new coming up.

Even with pictures, it's difficult trying to assess what's going on: I'd get that guitar back to the retailer before a month has passed and get their input. Not from a sales clerk, obviously. Gibson is selective in signing on authorized dealers, so they should be qualified to deal with this issue.

I'm not clear on the actual issue. But you should first realize the headstock is made of 3 pieces (Martins have in the past only used one, but I believe changed in recent years to 3). The neck extends up with a center piece that is the main part of the headstock and then, two 'wings' are glued securely on. They are usually the same species of wood cut at a 90 degree angle to give the entire headstock more strength. as with other glued joints and seams, there is always the possibility of a visual appearance of unevenness. So, I'm assuming the wing is the right size and shape, but you're seeing a seam? Regardless - "Get thee to a luthier" or back to the store you get your concern logged before a month has passed.

I agree

I'd rather have a nice sounding guitar than a pristine guitar , but you're still in a honeymoon period which will wear off in a while

Not saying you'll change your mind about how good the guitar is , but the wings may start to bother you and the month good grace term will be over

It may start to eat away at you

Get it checked out at least by an expert , if you're told it's sound then that'll be 90% of the battle

I'm reckoning all will be well with the 'issue'

Pictures here would be almost as good as taking it to anyone

Welcome to the asylum!

Without a photo I figure you're concerned with a glue seam being visible between one (or both) of the headstock wings......yes? If so, not to worry.......it's a glue joint which is stronger than the surrounding wood and poses no threat to the instrument's structural integrity. Just one of those "Gibson things" that non-believers point to and cry foul. Sounds as if you otherwise love the guitar, and like your analogy of the puppy, it would be silly to think it somehow inferior or defective.

Play it 'til your fingers bleed!

Might be an issue thirty years from now, but anyone looking at old guitars knows that area can dry out and spread over a long time. Not a huge deal really right now, some buyers might find it serious in the far future.

rct

All of my Gibsons have visible seams at the rear between the main headstock plane and the wings in a certain light, from my oldest ('67 J45) to my youngest (2016 SJ200). Nowt to worry about unless it's drastic, just a quirk of the way they're built.

Welcome to the asylum!

Without a photo I figure you're concerned with a glue seam being visible between one (or both) of the headstock wings......yes? If so, not to worry.......it's a glue joint which is stronger than the surrounding wood and poses no threat to the instrument's structural integrity. Just one of those "Gibson things" that non-believers point to and cry foul. Sounds as if you otherwise love the guitar, and like your analogy of the puppy, it would be silly to think it somehow inferior or defective.

Play it 'til your fingers bleed!

Thanks Buc and everyone else who helped out....as I doubt I will make another 20 trips around the sun I guess I wont worry about it since you guys all seem to be in agreement that it is most likely cosmetic...the thing sounds and plays GREAT so what the heck!

Today, at my gig when I took a break I did a quick look at my Gibson Gospel Reissue's headstock to compare if its wings are actually not even, although I have had the instrument about 10 years and never really looked closely at the headstock (or its shape.). After I looked at it for about 5 seconds I thought, I AM NOT GETTING DRAWN, into whether or not it's headstock wings are perfectly even or not. So I put the guitar down and took my ten minute break until I then played my next sets and then went home. I wiped down the guitar (because I don't wear a sock on my right arm😄) and put the guitar away. That was 6 hours ago and I have yet to go back and compare if it's wings are even or not. And, I don't plan on it.😄 because I don't care to know. 😄

Just my approach!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Hey Tim35 - as the Winger of the Board I better chime in.

This is a never discussed theme and the reason is plain to see.

No Gibsons ever came with asymmetrical or seriously uneven wings since Adam was born.

Not that we know of anyway. Maybe it's time to start looking.

But we gonna need a magnifying glass, , , and we'll need pictures from you to make sense of it all.

Do learn to post photos if you want a good clean answer.

Easy to understand you are concerned, but it would be such a waste of energy if it's just some kind of new-Gibson-owner-mirage.

I'm sure you lit up everyone's curiosity - now please put out the fire. Or let the flames rise if necessary.

Congratulations on the splendid 35 and welcome inside

One other consideration is that, when a guitar is built of its many wooden components,

such as a multi-piece neck, ie wings,each piece will respond to humidity changes at different rates.

As such, the wings many not respond to the same degree as the rest of the neck, and thus sometimes

you may feel a ridge at the joint, sometimes the finish will start to raise or crack, and the joint becomes exaggerated.

This is all normal and usual.Enjoy the guitar.In 25 years, it wont look new, but it will look cool!

The issue with the wings has been around for forever. It's really quite simple and nothing sinister is going on. I have no pictures to look at to verify this is what's happening to your guitar but it happens to every Gibson at some point in its life.

The wings are applied to the headstock to give it the width needed to attach the tuners. If Gibson would use a single piece of wood to make the headstock wide enough to accommodate this the cost of the guitar would probably double. That and the fact that there would be a considerable waste of wood involved.

The Nitro finish is very thin and very volatile and when the finish ages it tends to shrink and "sink" into areas where there is any kind of void no matter how small. The nitro is just settling or shrinking into the glue joint. The glue joint is just fine and the area will not crack or separate.

This sinking can be seen on other joints as well. The binding around the perimeter and the rosette can display the same symptoms. The nitrocellulose lacquer finish is very expensive and a big contributor to the quality of the sound of your guitar. You have a great guitar and it has the best finish money can buy so please enjoy it for what it is. There is no warranty issue here.

The posting of photos is a big issue here and one that should be resolved at some point. Most of us are guitar players and not photographers or computer nerds. Just sayin'.

Thanks to everyone who responded...what a great group! I did try to post a pic but it said the file was too large. I will figure it out someday...maybe I will post a video when I do. I am extremely happy with the j35 and already looking at things to sell to buy a j45.....my friend Dave Morgan (who is a great player) steered me toward Gibson acoustics and specifically the j35. In the past I have owned Gibson electrics but this is the first acoustic and I am really impressed. Thanks again folks for being so helpful and friendly

Thanks to everyone who responded...what a great group! I did try to post a pic but it said the file was too large. I will figure it out someday...maybe I will post a video when I do. I am extremely happy with the j35 and already looking at things to sell to buy a j45.....my friend Dave Morgan (who is a great player) steered me toward Gibson acoustics and specifically the j35. In the past I have owned Gibson electrics but this is the first acoustic and I am really impressed. Thanks again folks for being so helpful and friendly

Before you know it you'll have that J45...then you'll start thinking about an SJ200...then maybe a square shoulder dread to add to the herd...this Hummingbird sounds so good, I should get a Dove to go with it...I really need a parlour guitar to go with my collection, let's look at these L-00s and Nick Lucases...ohh I need at least one vintage Gibson...maybe two...

Welcome to the best club in the world!

since I was unable to post a pic.....this j29 has exactly the same wing issue...(looks like a crack but must not be) as mine...I hope this clears it up and in the mean time I will work on posting pics for the next time...thanks again!

Welcome. When you've been around Gibsons for a life time you tend to accept the way they have been built the way I have in my lifetime. I've always thought the wings or multiple piece necks belong there as they have been built during my entire lifetime and well, well before it. I've always enjoyed the extra width of the Gibson headstock back when Scotty Moore, Chuck Berry, Bill Haley and many many more folks I consider the real artists of this "thing" we are so obsessed with. My advanced age, as a onetime member commented on for my reasoning of this, and not accepting such companies such as Martin, to after several lifetimes of using one piece necks to build guitars using multiple piece necks, and, deliberately hiding trying to hide this fact, until discovered, and then telling us how superior the multiple piece necks are, kind of makes me wonder. To top it off, so many "Factory trained Martin Luthiers" that have been making a top notch living for all these years are now saying multiple piece necks are now superior! Take it as it is. My Rant! Martin 1940D28

Thanks Martin...my only concern was this a structural defect..not worried about the asthetics. Thanks for the input. I have had a few Gibson electrics over the years and familiar with wings but not this "offset" look that I thought could even be a crack... I love the guitar and plan to thin the Martin stable and add to the Gibson stable someday..I think the j35 is beautiful just the way it is...just in the 30 day period and thought it was worth checking with you guys as I value your expertise....

Clear to see - Hogeye may have encountered many of these, , , I haven't.

Admit it looks a bit cheap, but doubt you would be able to make it an issue.

I'd let it pass - especially as your guitar serves you so well.

Then again, it might inhibit re-sale value, , , , according to those buyers who can't cope.

since I was unable to post a pic.....this j29 has exactly the same wing issue...(looks like a crack but must not be) as mine...I hope this clears it up and in the mean time I will work on posting pics for the next time...thanks again!

Sorry, I'm not getting it. Watched it 2x/ At what time spot in the video is the crack visible?

If I'm understanding this correctly, the wings seam is showing through the holly veneer on the TOP of the headstock. The seams are always visible on the back of the headstock but it's unusual to see them on the top veneer, which I assume is one piece.

I've noticed it on my 1969 B-25N. Here's a photo with the seam showing on the left about half an inch from the edge.

rL8i90b.jpg

My J35 has/had the same problem, only worse. Because the guitar had been allowed to dry out there were cracks in the lacquer as well as differences in the thickness of the wings. There were also cracks in the top where the fingerboard joined. I was offered such a good deal on the guitar I decided to take it anyway. The cracked soundboard was no problem to reglue, but the headstock has proved more of a challenge. I am still in the process of filling with superglue and lacquer leveling, but it is coming along. I suspect that the lines will always be visible.

It is such a good sounding and playing guitar, though, so I think that I can just live with it and let my wife and daughters deal with it after I'm gone.

My J35 has/had the same problem, only worse. Because the guitar had been allowed to dry out there were cracks in the lacquer as well as differences in the thickness of the wings. There were also cracks in the top where the fingerboard joined. I was offered such a good deal on the guitar I decided to take it anyway. The cracked soundboard was no problem to reglue, but the headstock has proved more of a challenge. I am still in the process of filling with superglue and lacquer leveling, but it is coming along. I suspect that the lines will always be visible.

It is such a good sounding and playing guitar, though, so I think that I can just live with it and let my wife and daughters deal with it after I'm gone.

Thanks for the info Tom....my plays and sounds great also...dont ever see selling it so I'll just play the heck out of it. Good luck with yours!

Archived