Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Dove unusual back

fiddler51

Gentlemen,

I've a Gibson Dove, serial number stamped A002453, red in color, with some fantastic maple flame shining through. It has a strange back with two inlaid strips. It's in excellent condition! There's a volute where the headstock meets the neck, and a three piece maple neck. See pics please.

I'm looking for a year for this guitar, and also it's worth for insurance purposes.

Thanks much for any help that can be given in my search for info!

post-2993-003627300 1501822751_thumb.jpg

post-2993-060089800 1501822758_thumb.jpg

post-2993-037318500 1501822768_thumb.jpg

post-2993-093573100 1501822790_thumb.jpg

post-2993-060267000 1501822799_thumb.jpg

The serial A+6 digits puts it '73, '74 or 5. You may want to check eBay sold listings to get an idea of value. IMO $2K would be on the high side. The '70s Gibson's just do as well in the market due to build changes.

Interesting back though. It is still center seamed (to my eye) but inlay splits it into 3 pieces.

The serial A+6 digits puts it '73, '74 or 5. You may want to check eBay sold listings to get an idea of value. IMO $2K would be on the high side. The '70s Gibson's just do as well in the market due to build changes.

Interesting back though. It is still center seamed (to my eye) but inlay splits it into 3 pieces.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, center seam bookmatched with a strip of wood over it on the inside. Also strips of wood on the inside over the two back inlays, for support I'm thinking. It doesn't diminish the sound though, it's a boomer.

I've seen a few 70's Doves with that back configuration. Rhyme/reason doesn't usually apply to Gibson flat-tops from that era, although they always tend to fetch less $ than guitars made previously or later. Now and then, you'll find one that sounds pretty good.

Welcome, Fiddler! Yes, it is from the early-mid 70s. With exceptions of course, this period in Gibson history is not highly regarded as profit-driven corporate America had taken the reins. Volute added, headstock angle reduces, double X top bracing, oversized bridge plates.......changes implemented to reduce warranty claims and considered "tone killers" by many players. There are, however, some outstanding examples from those years.

I would guess the three-piece back on your Dove is why it's labeled as a "Dove Custom"........the plain ol' Dove had a two-piece back with varying degrees of flame in the maple. Beautiful cherry color on yours! Let's see the front!

I'd reckon such an instrument would fall in the $1500-1800 price range, assuming all is well structurally.

I've seen a few 70's Doves with that back configuration. Rhyme/reason doesn't usually apply to Gibson flat-tops from that era, although they always tend to fetch less $ than guitars made previously or later. Now and then, you'll find one that sounds pretty good.

Thanks for the reply!

Welcome, Fiddler! Yes, it is from the early-mid 70s. With exceptions of course, this period in Gibson history is not highly regarded as profit-driven corporate America had taken the reins. Volute added, headstock angle reduces, double X top bracing, oversized bridge plates.......changes implemented to reduce warranty claims and considered "tone killers" by many players. There are, however, some outstanding examples from those years.

I would guess the three-piece back on your Dove is why it's labeled as a "Dove Custom"........the plain ol' Dove had a two-piece back with varying degrees of flame in the maple. Beautiful cherry color on yours! Let's see the front!

I'd reckon such an instrument would fall in the $1500-1800 price range, assuming all is well structurally.

Thanks for the reply!

The page won't let me load any more pics, and being new to this forum, I can't figure a workaround. The front is cool, very minimal finish hazing for it's age. No nick/scratches, excellent+ condition.

Thanks for the reply!

The page won't let me load any more pics, and being new to this forum, I can't figure a workaround. The front is cool, very minimal finish hazing for it's age. No nick/scratches, excellent+ condition.

Custom and Deluxe were added to virtually all 1970's models at that time. Why? No idea. Maybe the same reason(s) that the bracing and bridge plates were overdone, the tops were too flat, the necks were underset, and the bridges were too thin. A lot of changes were cost cutters (block fretboard inlays on Hummingbirds and Southern Jumbos as opposed to double parallelograms, for example). All in all, an era of production that gave Gibson a reputation for shoddy guitars.

Owned a few with the 3 piece backs and indian blacket strips down the backs just like the d35s. Mine were a dark walnut color with dark front bursts. Had one with a 4 piece back in cherry.

It's a four piece back. The two outer & inner pieces appear to be somewhat bookmatched.

I had an early '70s Dove Custom, with a typical two-piece back. Can't recall seeing one like this before - just another indicator that anything was possible with Gibson in the Norlin era!

Archived