Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Campbell

jaxson50

Glen is playing a Teisco T-60. I think they were made around 1960 and had 3 pickups styled on a P90 but branded Teisco. They had a very long headstock which had a banana shaped hole cut right though it, and they had a similar shaped hole cut right through the body where Glen's right wrist is. The reason I know this is because a friend of mine has one and I looked it up for her when she got it. Below is a link to a recent gig where our bands were on playing on the same bill - you can (sort of) see her guitar sitting on a stand to the left of screen. It has been refinished and the body hole filled in (though when I've held it up the light I could see where it had been in the paint) - in the video you can see the light shine through the headstock hole in its shadow on the red surface behind it at times when the cross lights aren't being blocked - eg in the first couple of seconds. The guitar has a thick kind of V shaped neck - bit of a beast!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=doc54yfPyB8

1501916919[/url]' post='1873223']

Glen is playing a Teisco T-60. I think they were made around 1960 and had 3 pickups styled on a P90 but branded Teisco. They had a very long headstock which had a banana shaped hole cut right though it, and they had a similar shaped hole cut right through the body where Glen's right wrist is. The reason I know this is because a friend of mine has one and I looked it up for her when she got it. Below is a link to a recent gig where our bands were on playing on the same bill - you can (sort of) see her guitar sitting on a stand to the left of screen. It has been refinished and the body hole filled in (though when I've held it up the light I could see where it had been in the paint) - in the video you can see the light shine through the headstock hole in its shadow on the red surface behind it at times when the cross lights aren't being blocked - eg in the first couple of seconds. The guitar has a thick kind of V shaped neck - bit of a beast!

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=doc54yfPyB8

Thanks for the info. And the video I enjoyed both

Here's another vintage clip of Glen

You're welcome. Bit of a mystery why Glen should have been playing such a thing though, maybe he liked the twangy sound or perhaps he had some kind of endorsement? Hard to believe it would be a choice for a high profile artist, but there are other pics/vids of him playing one so doesn't seem a case of being handed it by someone at the last minute [confused]

1501973147[/url]' post='1873367']

You're welcome. Bit of a mystery why Glen should have been playing such a thing though, maybe he liked the twangy sound or perhaps he had some kind of endorsement? Hard to believe it would be a choice for a high profile artist, but there are other pics/vids of him playing one so doesn't seem a case of being handed it by someone at the last minute [confused]

I have read interviews with Glen about some of the rigs he used throughout his career. Early when he was working in the studio with what later became the Wrecking Crew he played Fenders. I'm not sure when the video of him playing the Tiesco was recorded, Here is another from 1965, notice the different hair style..

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FqRqGGOwDdI

I've seen early video of him with the Collins Kids and he's playing Fenders, maybe he borrowed the Tiesco but he sure sounded good! He played Ovations after about 1970, but I think Ovation paid him to promote them.He borrowed Carrol Kaye's baritone Danelecto for his solo on Galveston, he also used it on a few TV shows. He also played Mosrites during the 60s as well as Gibson's

Well, if it's a hoax it's a well done hoax. It's all over the news. It's even on his own website. Looks like his wife even made some kind of statement. I hope it's not because that would be incredibly cruel.

Anyway, I never really paid much attention to him when I was young because I don't really care much for country music. I appreciate his talent much more now. It was very sad to see him get Alzheimer's and have to stop performing.

RIP Glen. I was lucky enough to meet him 4 years ago at my work. Guitar hero of mine. He was plenty with it enough to have a conversation. He was from Arkansas and so am I. He asked why did you come to California? I said "Well it's always been a dream plus I was born here." I said why did you? He said, "Well I'll tell ya. I got tired of looking at the South end of a Northbound mule." That's my memory of that day.

RIP, Glenn. He was another very early influence. I had one of his greatest hits albums on 8-track that I used to listen to over and over. Fantastic guitarist. It's sad that he passed but a blessing as well since he was suffering from Alzheimer's for the last few years of his life. A lot of people have different beliefs about what comes after you die. I'm kinda hoping for jam sessons and guitar lessons.

Archived