Gibson Brands Forums

AJ 45 me

Tim35

There were a number of posts about the Epiphone AJ45 awhile back on the Epiphone forum on this Gibson site in the Epiphone Acoustic section. You might want to check it out. To my recollection most comments pertained to the shock of it having a satin finish instead of the standard/traditional J45 gloss finish.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Is it a Masterbilt or a standard Epi model?

I have a LOT of time for Epiphone stuff. My IB '64 Texan is one of my favourite guitars and holds its own with my Gibsons 99% of the time. My funky little early L-1 shaped EL-00 is great too.

Your post refreshed my memory. There were 2 Epi J-45s. One was a laminated top J-45 that looked good, had a gloss too, but having a laminated top was lacking in fullness of sound. And, them there was am Epi Masterbilt J-45 that had a solid top that sounded much better, but had a satin top unlike Gibson's traditional j-45s. Both were discussed on the Epi Acoustic forum.

Hope this helps the poster who originally posted.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I've played about 4 in the last couple of weeks.The masterbilt ones.They were all good guitars with a tonal connection to the Gibson sound.I was considering a purchase of one.There was just a slight lack of presence / volume that held me back.

Still If you find the right one..they have a very easy playing neck.I wouldn't buy one without playing.

I've been kind of looking for another "cheaper" guitar ie not Gibson or Martin.Been really impressed with Sigmas.Not sure if you have those in the US.Played their Martin copies.A 000-15 and a D15 were wonderful.Thinking about travelling a couple of hours to Canberra where there is a shop that carries the Sigma Gibson copies.The L-00 sounds very sweet on youtube clips.

Archived