Gibson Brands Forums

NAD

surfpup

So I've wanted a Champ for a while - particularly a Vibro Champ. There have been tons of them at guitar shows but the clean ones were all pushing $600 the last coupla years. Seemed excessive to me.

I found one in a pawn today that was super clean. Played it and it sounds great. The vibrato is insanely deep. Sticker is $450 - which is more than fair - but since it's a pawn I do a little better. He said he'd take $375. I said I was thinking $350. We split the difference... $362.50. Today was a good day.

Transformers date late '73 and early '74, so I reckon it's a '74.

DTBxTsEl.jpg

qVRwKrrl.jpg

Nice.

Vibroliscious

How is it?

Vibroliscious for sure! [thumbup] Spanky until you get it dimed, then it growls a bit. Scooped mids (like all 70s Fenders) and a surprising amount of low end for a 6" speaker. I'll likely retube it and perhaps swap in a Jensen speaker (maybe even move up to an 8").

Vibroliscious for sure! [thumbup] Spanky until you get it dimed, then it growls a bit. Scooped mids (like all 70s Fenders) and a surprising amount of low end for a 6" speaker. I'll likely retube it and perhaps swap in a Jensen speaker (maybe even move up to an 8").

Eight inches is a good call. That's what's in my Gibson GA-5.

I've been looking at several Vibro Champs on Craigslist too lately.

But I'm fixing to build a guitar soon, so money is going towards that.

• 2 weeks later...

Does that require biasing? If so, did you do it yourself?

The Champ is cathode biased so there is no adjustment. Generally one can swap tubes in a cathode biased amp without problems. The bis CAN be adjusted for optimal plate voltage by changing the value of the bias resistor. It would take someone amp smart like BadBluesPlayer to do this. [biggrin]

On amps with adjustable bias pots (like my Deluxe Reverb of my JTM45) I use a tube socket style bias probe and my multi-meter to adjust them.

Just saw one a week ago in Everett, WA. I think it was marked $499. I played a killer Mesa/Boogie Mark V at the store with a Nash Tele.

Not a bad price. They've been between 550 and 650 at the last few Orlando guitar shows.

Archived