Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson USA 2016 Limited '50s Les Paul Standard (Faded Honeyburst)

ekkerman

Hi all , i recentely purchased this; Gibson USA 2016 Limited '50s Les Paul Standard (Faded Honeyburst) and it seems to be a limited release and sold in a few shops. Stil i cant seem to find much info on this one and its a so called proprierty guitar and nothing about it on the gibson site . why could it be that its not listed there? Its is a gibson not a fake!!!https://www.gak.co.uk/en/gibson-usa-2016-50s-les-paul-standard-ltd-faded-honeyburst-nickel who knows anything about this nice guitar? thanx all , greetz eric ekkermanpost-22997-030617700 1502025803_thumb.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

There's loads of models not listed on gibson.com. I can't answer with certainty by I would imagine that Gibson agree not to list the special, per shop orders because the shop ordering them want the Google ranking for the search. If I was a guitar retailer ordering 1000 LPs as a special run I'd ask Gibson not to list it. That, of course, may not be the reason at all, it may just be because Gibson have the single worst web presence for a company of its size and notability that I've ever seen.

IIRC they went out from GAK and Thomman. They're Les Paul Standards with a few 50s appointments. Smaller headstock and stuff.

We get the odd double post here. First nonupel post I've seen. [thumbup]

There's loads of models not listed on gibson.com. I can't answer with certainty by I would imagine that Gibson agree not to list the special, per shop orders because the shop ordering them want the Google ranking for the search. If I was a guitar retailer ordering 1000 LPs as a special run I'd ask Gibson not to list it. That, of course, may not be the reason at all, it may just be because Gibson have the single worst web presence for a company of its size and notability that I've ever seen.

IIRC they went out from GAK and Thomman. They're Les Paul Standards with a few 50s appointments. Smaller headstock and stuff.

We get the odd double post here. First nonupel post I've seen. [thumbup]

thanx Farns, it is a good guitar and indeed a little rounded neck style like 50's les pauls. i do think the frets are a bit high and the edges would have been nice rolled but now theyre coved by the binding but there a bit edgy but not sharp so i geuss i will get used to it. the zebra 57 pick ups are nice but not super hot.

Guest Farnsbarns

thanx Farns, it is a good guitar and indeed a little rounded neck style like 50's les pauls. i do think the frets are a bit high and the edges would have been nice rolled but now theyre coved by the binding but there a bit edgy but not sharp so i geuss i will get used to it. the zebra 57 pick ups are nice but not super hot.

I believe the 57s are very cool pups in the overall Gibson spectrum. Supposedly their closest PAF clone (whatever that means).

Being that these models are specified by dealers, limited runs, & not offered to the public by Gibson, I wouldn't expect any information to be on Gibson's site.

Of course the customer is always right & it shouldn't take a monumental effort to list all special runs... it may happen some time in the future.

But as of now, the dealer's site will have the most information about them.

Fender & PRS does the same. I would imagine all manufacturers do.

Guest Farnsbarns

gibson-usa-2016-50s-les-paul-standard-ltd-faded-honeyburst-nickel-355330.jpg

Looks like a traditional with a blank truss rod cover, zebra pickups, & plastic jackplate.

Does it have the thick binding in the cutaway or can you see the maple/mahogany seam?

To my knowledge the wide binding hasn't been seen since 2002.

I suspect the quality will be possibly worse on the special runs. It seems every time I walk into a Guitar Center, they have a Les Paul Studio Deluxe IV in the scratch and dent area. The issue with them always seems to be the volume pots break on the coil taps.

I suspect the quality will be possibly worse on the special runs. It seems every time I walk into a Guitar Center, they have a Les Paul Studio Deluxe IV in the scratch and dent area. The issue with them always seems to be the volume pots break on the coil taps.

thank god , theres no coil tapping on my special run!!!!

Guest Farnsbarns

This problem simply doesn't exist. Gibson are no more perfect than anyone else but these interweb comments that there is a QC problem are self perpetuating. If a new owner has a problem, Googles it, finds these conversations and adds to it it looks very much like there is a systemic problem. The reality is that the number of problematic guitars is tiny in the overall scheme of things. I've had one go bad and get replaced but that was one out of probably 1000 a day.

Then there's topics like the one we recently had where some idiotic self proclaimed expert thought the cap being visible under the cutaway binding was a mistake, also thought it was a paint line and declared that Gibson had a QC problem. The reality, of course, is that isn't a problem, it's a feature. One might not like it but nonetheless it's a feature.

• 3 weeks later...

This problem simply doesn't exist. Gibson are no more perfect than anyone else but these interweb comments that there is a QC problem are self perpetuating. If a new owner has a problem, Googles it, finds these conversations and adds to it it looks very much like there is a systemic problem. The reality is that the number of problematic guitars is tiny in the overall scheme of things. I've had one go bad and get replaced but that was one out of probably 1000 a day.

i agree, i dont think it's near as bad as the internet suggests. not even close. i do have a pot on mine that went bad within months (a coil tapping guitar with the pc board) but my instinct says it's not gibby's fault when a pot goes bad, considering they are made by the ton. (by someone else iirc)

they are quality pots, sometimes they fail. that's just life.

Archived