Gibson Brands Forums

Driving in America...

Flight959

Currently in Florida on holiday with the family... on this visit I have decided to drive to get around a bit more easily.

What's with turning right on a red light.... is this allowed?? Ive Seen some do it and some not... what does the flashing amber mean on a big crossroad type junction... I kind of approach these with caution whilst the rest of the traffic go's flying through....

And lastly.... there seems to be no lane discipline. .can you overtake any car in any lane??

Regards

And thanks in advance. ☺

What's with turning right on a red light.... is this allowed??

Yes, supposedly when nobody's coming with the green. In the wild west here, they'll turn right on red even when someone's coming in the next lane over, in which case they better be turning into the far right lane!

....what does the flashing amber mean on a big crossroad type junction... I kind of approach these with caution whilst the rest of the traffic go's flying through....

Yes, theoretically you have the right of way, but I think it's wise to slow down a little.

And lastly.... there seems to be no lane discipline. .can you overtake any car in any lane??

Well, sure, haha. As long as you don't cut them off (or them you!).

Currently in Florida on holiday with the family... on this visit I have decided to drive to get around a bit more easily.

What's with turning right on a red light.... is this allowed?? Ive Seen some do it and some not... what does the flashing amber mean on a big crossroad type junction... I kind of approach these with caution whilst the rest of the traffic go's flying through....

Regards

And thanks in advance. ☺

The right turn on red varies from state to state. It is legal in Florida unless there is a "no turn on red" sign. You are required to come to a complete stop at a red light or stop sign before you make the turn.

You are not required to do so but you generally should pass or overtake other vehicles from the left

Regards

And thanks in advance. ☺

Having just driven 6000 miles across this country I feel qualified to answer...

You may turn right on red AFTER stopping in most states (including Florida). Most Americans are unaware of the AFTER stopping part.

You are approaching the flashing yellow (amber) properly. Flashing yellow means caution.... or slow down - flashing red means stop and go when it's clear (like a stop sign).

As for lanes... 10-20% of the drivers in the US prefer to go slow in the left lane (our "passing" lane). That way they don't have to move over for anyone entering from an onramp to the right. Unfortunately for you, most of those people live in Florida or Georgia. As a result the right lane is the new passing lane. In this regard you might feel right at home. [biggrin]

Enjoy your stay. If you get up toward St. Augustine, I'll gladly buy you a pint. And if you really want to experience crazy driving, just take I95 north through New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and Connecticut! Those people are maniacs! [scared]

Pretty good advice on the traffic stuff so far but some things to keep in mind while driving in the US:

Most drivers think that they are the only one on the road, oblivious to what is gong on around them. Several will be either texting, using a hand held cell phone (illegal in some states) reading, putting on makeup, eating, shaving, etc. but paying no attention to their "driving" [scared]

Under NO circumstances get behind a mini-van (guaranteed to be pre-occupied as noted above, or distracted by little kids) [flapper]

I'm generalizing to a point, but also making some legitimate points if you will... [biggrin]

Maybe it's the years I spent racing cars, but if I'm driving, I'm driving, not doing any of the above. Stepping off of soapbox while chuckling...

You may turn right on red AFTER stopping in most states (including Florida). Most Americans are unaware of the AFTER stopping part.

You are approaching the flashing yellow (amber) properly. Flashing yellow means caution.... or slow down - flashing red means stop and go when it's clear (like a stop sign).

As for lanes... 10-20% of the drivers in the US prefer to go slow in the left lane (our "passing" lane). That way they don't have to move over for anyone entering from an onramp to the right. Unfortunately for you, most of those people live in Florida or Georgia. As a result the right lane is the new passing lane. In this regard you might feel right at home. [biggrin]

Enjoy your stay. If you get up toward St. Augustine, I'll gladly buy you a pint. And if you really want to experience crazy driving, just take I95 north through New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and Connecticut! Those people are maniacs! [scared]

That's a very kind offer! Unfortunately I won't be creeping in your direction however I'll be in NYC in September where I'll gladly buy you a pint or two..

Thanks for the replies guys.

Regards

That's a very kind offer! Unfortunately I won't be creeping in your direction however I'll be in NYC in September where I'll gladly buy you a pint or two..

Thanks for the replies guys.

Regards

Guest Farnsbarns

Turning right on a red is genius. We ought to have it here (or more filter lights, our equivalent, but rare, and left for us, of course).

On a side note, can anyone recommend where to get a good steak? I've travelled well over the years in the States and I have to say when it comes to food then Florida seems to be severely lacking....very dissapointing. 😐

Regards

On a side note, can anyone recommend where to get a good steak? I've travelled well over the years in the States and I have to say when it comes to food then Florida seems to be severely lacking....very dissapointing. 😐

Regards

If you're going to be in Tampa, then Bern's Steakhouse is the place to go. If not then Ruth's Chris is good too, they're a "chain" (but higher end) so they will be in most cities.

I live in Oregon now and I do miss the Bern's experience. Hope you get a chance to go.

Regards

If you're going to be in/near Atlanta I highly recommend Bones. Google 'em for menu and reviews if interested. We used to go there after long meetings for a group dinner, and our boss was into only the best!!

If you're going to be in Tampa, then Bern's Steakhouse is the place to go. If not then Ruth's Chris is good too, they're a "chain" (but higher end) so they will be in most cities.

I live in Oregon now and I do miss the Bern's experience. Hope you get a chance to go.

Those are both good. Mark's Prime is a good chain too. In which city will you be looking for this steak?

We are 20 min's from most of the things to do like Disney and Universal. We are here for two weeks then we will spend a week at a beach somewhere... not decided yet. We are currently staying in the Lake Buena Vista which is on Resort Village Drive very near to the I4.

Regards

We are 20 min's from most of the things to do like Disney and Universal. We are here for two weeks then we will spend a week at a beach somewhere... not decided yet. We are currently staying in the Lake Buena Vista which is on Resort Village Drive very near to the I4.

Regards

Definitely not my neck of the woods, but here's Zagat's recommendations for steak. Their top rating is a Ruth's Chris that is pretty close to you. I'd go with that. 7501 W Sand Lake Rd, Orlando, FL 32819

Regards

Oh no my friend. We drive a thousand miles to Orlando to eat. California Grill, Flying Fish, Narcoosie's, and of course Victoria and Alberts, all in Disney World. If you can get a table. We got lucky and scored Cali Grill and Flying Fish for October, but we had to get them first day we could make them, few months ago. That's just a few. Morimoto and Art Smith's, Bayless has his Cacina which is just awesome, the Boathouse, all at Disney Springs which costs nothing to park and nothing to enter. If you can't find decent food in there...

Universal you have to hunt a little, but Emeril has a place in the big hotel, Tchoup Tchoup, pronounced ChopChop. Awesome. A few good places inside the park too if you are going in.

Don't, do not, I repeat, do not waste your pounds sterling on Ruth's Chris. Not eating is better than anything they call "steak".

rct

And apparently, turn signals are optional on some cars because they're not used nearly as often as they should be. They're supposed to signal when changing lanes or turning but it's pretty hit or miss.

You're right, some scofflaws don't bother to use them, and others turn them on after they've braked and started their turn! Fact is, not using them, even just to change lanes, is an infraction, and you could be pulled over and ticketed on the whim of any onlooking law enforcement officer.

Oh no my friend. We drive a thousand miles to Orlando to eat. California Grill, Flying Fish, Narcoosie's, and of course Victoria and Alberts, all in Disney World. If you can get a table. We got lucky and scored Cali Grill and Flying Fish for October, but we had to get them first day we could make them, few months ago. That's just a few. Morimoto and Art Smith's, Bayless has his Cacina which is just awesome, the Boathouse, all at Disney Springs which costs nothing to park and nothing to enter. If you can't find decent food in there...

Universal you have to hunt a little, but Emeril has a place in the big hotel, Tchoup Tchoup, pronounced ChopChop. Awesome. A few good places inside the park too if you are going in.

Don't, do not, I repeat, do not waste your pounds sterling on Ruth's Chris. Not eating is better than anything they call "steak".

rct

See... when you wanna know about Florida, you ask someone from New Jersey! [biggrin] Half the state is from there anyway.

Can't say I've been to any of those, as I avoid that part of the state if possible. (And clearly I am no gastronome) I like my little beach town. But I already saved this list for the next time the family decides that we must do Disney. [thumbup]

See... when you wanna know about Florida, you ask someone from New Jersey! [biggrin] Half the state is from there anyway.

Can't say I've been to any of those, as I avoid that part of the state if possible. (And clearly I am no gastronome) I like my little beach town. But I already saved this list for the next time the family decides that we must do Disney. [thumbup]

Oh man we know way too much about eating there!

People don't realize there are some really serious chefs there, and some pretty serious eating experiences. California Grill and Flying Fish alone would be welcome in any city in America, they are that good. Victoria and Alberts is one of the last great continental places left in this country, with the make you blush prices to go along with it. Le Bec Fin was the last place we had up here in Philly, we closed that joint when Georges Perrier retired, so Vicky and Als is all we got left for that experience. If you've never eaten like a European, V&A is highly recommended.

On the other coast it is Napa Rose in the California Hotel, another of the best in the country. We were supposed to be there this year but, again we've had to break it, so CG, FF, Art Smith, Bayless Cocina, maybe a couple others in WDW will have to do.

rct

You're right, some scofflaws don't bother to use them, and others turn them on after they've braked and started their turn! Fact is, not using them, even just to change lanes, is an infraction, and you could be pulled over and ticketed on the whim of any onlooking law enforcement officer.

Some...in fact... a lot don't even use the carriageway... saw loads of cars driving on the grass verge...both sides today because they couldn't be arsed to wait... suppose that's not risky when your driving a 6.7litre ford truck!

Lol.... and EVERYONE on their phone whilst driving!

And apparently, turn signals are optional on some cars because they're not used nearly as often as they should be. They're supposed to signal when changing lanes or turning but it's pretty hit or miss.

Well, if you're driving the beltways of Baltimore or DC, turn signals only tip-off the other driver that you're trying to change lanes. Then they speed up to block you out. The trick is to casually come up to an opening, and put your signal on as you've already committed to the lane change.

Archived