Gibson Brands Forums

Sigma Gibson copies...anyone played one?

Jinder

Hi all,

I was idly browsing teh interwebz today (as you do) when a google ad popped up advertising the new Sigma copies of classic Gibsons, such as this hair-raisingly litigiousness-friendly rip off of an AJ:

http://www.sigma-guitars.com/guitars/sg-series/jr-sg-advanced/

These are selling in the U.K. For around £550 with Fishman electronics. I'm amazed that Gibson haven't intervened, their SJ200 and L-00 copies are similarly accurate looking.

Has anyone played one? Are they just generic Pac Rim laminate copies that are all show and no go, or are they any good?

I've tried Gibson copies... including the AJ45ME from Epi, and the AJ500 M Masterbilt... where you have to be lucky to "get a good one", or lest it's a box of problems and thud.

I have played the Sigma Martin 15 series copies. Brothers Music in Wind Gap PA has a few still. Big meh.

The only good "copies" I have tried are the Farida OT22, which you can buy from Elderly, and the Eastman E10/20 SS guitars.

These Sigmas should not be confused with the Sigma brand that CF Martin started and owned and then disbanded. These are from a different company that started producing Sigma brand guitars and then were not allowed to sell them in the US (it is my understanding) until a certain period of time lapsed because the name still had some restrictions on using it in the US until some time period because of Martin's former distribution of the name in the US that they did not previously relinquish. I don't know the exact time frame or what exactly happened, but that is the gist of it. I read it someplace when I was trying to track down the date of origin on a Martin Sigma guitar that someone gave to me.

It was then I learned there is now a different unrelated to Martin company now using the Sigma name overseas.

That is all I know.

The Martin Sigma guitar I have is astonishingly very good and it's full rich sound tells me it' has to be solid wood at least it's top. Maybe more. The label on mine refers to the Martin Company on its label. The little research I could find on the prior Martin Sigmas was that some were bad and some were good, all of them being inexpensive.

If anyone knows any more on this new Sigma (non-Martin) brand, please share more with us in the US.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

A few good vids from Andertons:

I've played a few of all the new models (the j-45, L-oo, hummingbird, sj-100 and 200 models) they are really excellent guitars for the money although not as good as the real thing of course.

The SG-200 model is very good indeed and extremely loud although laminate maple:

http://www.sigma-guitars.com/guitars/sg-series/gja-sg200/

Now there is also an all solid limited edition j-45 style model with walnut which i thought was really outstanding and as good as many a standard j-45 model that i have played:

http://www.sigma-guitars.com/guitars/limited-edition/sjw-sg45/

I really do like the AMI Sigma's and I own one of there very limited and now discontinued Martin copies (All solid Adirondack/solid Madi Dreadnought). Its an immense sounding guitar! Their all solid limited edition models are a huge step up but not cheap.

To me Eastman and the all solid sigma's represent excellent quality and value for money. Overall i prefer Eastman because off their much larger range of all solid guitars. If you are happy with laminate guitars though and want traditional models in the vein of Martin and Gibson then Sigma produce the best i've heard at very reasonable prices. They would make high quality beaters as well.

I spent half an hour with a Sigma OM28VS in Linz today. Absolutely stellar guitar for the money, I would have bought it on the spot if not for the logistical nightmare of getting it home.

I can't find any info when searching for om28vs

Is that definite model number jinder ?

Is the V in the neck a major one ?

I don't like V's

My friend inherited my sigma d45 that I bought about 25 years ago , his daughter knocked it over and it's head fell off

He got it repaired and owns it still. Is a lovely guitar

Hi all,

I was idly browsing teh interwebz today (as you do) when a google ad popped up advertising the new Sigma copies of classic Gibsons, such as this hair-raisingly litigiousness-friendly rip off of an AJ:

http://www.sigma-gui...jr-sg-advanced/

These are selling in the U.K. For around £550 with Fishman electronics. I'm amazed that Gibson haven't intervened, their SJ200 and L-00 copies are similarly accurate looking.

Has anyone played one? Are they just generic Pac Rim laminate copies that are all show and no go, or are they any good?

Funny you should ask. Not the advanced model, they are way more than £550 but these are very nice. Look here http://www.acousticg...ad.php?t=479399

I just bought one and I'm really impressed

Archived