Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG Help

brian9955

yup, it is real. if you can get that for 200, you should be jumping on that. All you need is a tuner, a bridge and stop tail peice and call it good. I would not even touch the cracked up finish.

anyone have an idea if this is a usa model and what it would cost for the repair? And if it could be repaired . I am able to buy this for $200 and wondering if it's a good deal. The serial number looks a little low. Any advice?

yup, it is real. if you can get that for 200, you should be jumping on that. All you need is a tuner, a bridge and stop tail peice and call it good. I would not even touch the cracked up finish.

Thanks for your response. Does it look like a sg special? The person has it listed as a 1991 standard. What do you think it's worth as is?

Thanks for your response. Does it look like a sg special? The person has it listed as a 1991 standard. What do you think it's worth as is?

This is an SG Special. The inlays and lack of neck binding are the true indicators. Price out the bridge, tailpiece and tuner, factor in the fair to poor condition overall and then make your offer. In good condition, with all parts and strung up, I would pay up to $400 for it but like this, I would maybe pay $200. SG Specials are very common guitars and do not hold up their resale value well, bottoming out around the $400 range for good condition.

Amazing that the wood came off relatively unscathed. I agree with all of the above. If it were me I'd get the hardware sorted (parts are easy to find), and just set it up (or you can get someone to do it for you if you do't know how). I probably would touch up the headstock (carefully - I usually use black nail polish) and from a distance no-one will even know it's damaged. Where the lacquer has separated (the whitish area) it has probably cracked slightly, so try applying a generous amount of black permanent marker. This should work its way in via capillary action, and you can just rub the excess off with your thumb. Just my 2c!

• 1 month later...

What all the others on here have stated. I feel it is not a bad deal but, I myself would see if I can get it for a less like $150. You don't know what shape that neck is going to be in after you put it all together. It also looks like it has been through some abuse. $200 might not be bad if the neck does not look like it has been used to shoot arrows with.

Archived