Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Rosewood

BigDawg007

I left the Tusq nut and saddle and changed the bridge pins to some Abalone Fossilized Walrus Ivory. The main difference I noticed was in the sustain. The tone may be a bit brighter. They look pretty good I think.

Anyone on here done something similar?

Thanks

Big Dawg

post-76964-029781700 1502159407_thumb.png

I find that the right pins can add sustain and brighten tone, so no arguments from this quarter. Seems that the pin issue is different among members, as some don't notice any change. I take it on a guitar to guitar basis.

I left the Tusq nut and saddle and changed the bridge pins to some Abalone Fossilized Walrus Ivory. The main difference I noticed was in the sustain. The tone may be a bit brighter. They look pretty good I think.

Anyone on here done something similar?

My RAVS Masterbilt came with fossilized walrus ivory pins and saddle. It's got great tone! msp_thumbup.gif

rav221.jpg

I remain among the ignorant masses as in 50+ years I have never been able to figure out how the object holding a string into the bridge can make a lick of difference and can be any better than unslotted hard plastic pins. Liking the way a particular bridge pin looks is the only reason to use them.

I remain among the ignorant masses as in 50+ years I have never been able to figure out how the object holding a string into the bridge can make a lick of difference and can be any better than unslotted hard plastic pins. Liking the way a particular bridge pin looks is the only reason to use them.

I confess I have to agree. Although I've replaced all of my pins for that reason (cosmetics) - I also have replaced the saddles with bone. My rationale is that tusq. is not a 'natural' material like wood. Then, I fell in love with Tusq plectrums!

I confess I have to agree. Although I've replaced all of my pins for that reason (cosmetics) - I also have replaced the saddles with bone. My rationale is that tusq. is not a 'natural' material like wood. Then, I fell in love with Tusq plectrums!

Now there's another fun area! The connection between picker and pick is way personal. I usually carry a spare or two for my own use and another one or two that I can lend or give to someone if they're in need, but the loaners are NEVER what I use😄

Archived