Gibson Brands Forums

Help with Gibson s-1

Hubert

hey there

i just ordered original electronics for my s-1 guitar, but it works only when you combine all three pickups (not when you try them separately). could it be a problem with the switch or is it maybe the installment?

cheers

post-79557-029597100 1502184534_thumb.jpg

post-79557-001037100 1502184577_thumb.jpg

post-79557-018126900 1502184592_thumb.jpg

hey there

i just ordered original electronics for my s-1 guitar, but it works only when you combine all three pickups (not when you try them separately). could it be a problem with the switch or is it maybe the installment?

cheers

My suspicion is it is the switch. The electronics are very old and do not look to be in good condition, even for the age.

• 3 years later...

I realize this is an old thread, but hoping to get some help FINDING the electronics for my S-1. I'm in need of the original switches and pots. I have the pickups but I haven't had any luck at all finding the rest of the guts. Any recommendations on where to look for these? Specifically, I'm in need of:

2-position toggle

4-position (chicken head) rotary 

Volume pot

Tone pot

Thanks!

Does the switch have any brand name or anything marked on it? Do you have a schematic or wiring diagram? 

I’m not sure what brand that rotary switch is but it’s probably not worth trying to find an exact replacement. I’d instead look at the schematic to determine the specs of the switch and then look for a replacement which will fit the existing footprint. 

Here are some rotary switch manufacturers that you might want to check out once the specs of the switch are known

blore edwards 

elma

grayhill

at the cheaper end of things you have imported rotary switches from Alpha and Lorlin. Cheaper than that and you’re probably gambling with reliability 

Edited by Dub-T-123

22 hours ago, cycology said:

I realize this is an old thread, but hoping to get some help FINDING the electronics for my S-1. I'm in need of the original switches and pots. I have the pickups but I haven't had any luck at all finding the rest of the guts. Any recommendations on where to look for these? Specifically, I'm in need of:

2-position toggle

4-position (chicken head) rotary 

Volume pot

Tone pot

Thanks!

He asked 3 years ago. I hope got his question answered and he wasn't waiting around for one.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper