Gibson Brands Forums

Odd Les Paul Classic

MichaelT

I went to a semi-local music store to pick up my defective Marshall and to look at a few others and found a very curious Les Paul Classic guitar.

I'm not sure if there's some sort of plastic over the headstock or what this is. But, it definitely had a modified low E string, I guess for Drop D Tuning?

nl7HY7Z.jpg

Here's the serial number on the back of the headstock:

EE06d4nb.jpg

And a full body picture:

yGbh3PS.jpg

I didn't take any more pictures than these. I just found the headstock curious. Price tag is $1599.00. It feels and plays nice.

It's a 2000, it has some bad inlay up there, nothing sinister. Get's moisture under it and hazes like that. The low E tuner is different, might have just had to change it, I don't see anything D-Tuna about it. Mines much nicer, I'm glad it's 1599!

rct

It's a 2000, it has some bad inlay up there, nothing sinister. Get's moisture under it and hazes like that. The low E tuner is different, might have just had to change it, I don't see anything D-Tuna about it. Mines much nicer, I'm glad it's 1599!

rct

There's two tuners on the low E string and on the back it looks like there's a lever to flip, which I'm guessing to take it to D or whatever the second tuner is set to. There's 7 tuners total on it. I should have gotten a better picture of the back.

On the headstock at the Gibson Logo, there's a film or something over it. It looks like there's a clear plastic film or something over it. I didn't want to pick at it to see what it was because I didn't feel like paying that kind of money today. I've seen it say Classic on the truss rod cover but does it usually say Classic on the headstock as well? Or perhaps that year it did?

Ok, so a D-Tuna then.

Yes, Classic on the headstock as well, I think mine says Classic.

Looks like garden variety inlay trouble, pushing up on the clearcoat, or hazed underneath the clearcoat.

rct

Ok, so a D-Tuna then.

Yes, Classic on the headstock as well, I think mine says Classic.

Looks like garden variety inlay trouble, pushing up on the clearcoat, or hazed underneath the clearcoat.

rct

Thanks rct.

Archived