Gibson Brands Forums

RIP Glen Campbell

kwalker201

Lost another great one

I learned Rhinestone Cowboy just a few months ago. It really brought me back to my youth. I used to love watching Glen and Jerry Reed play Guitar Man. They seemed to be having so much fun.

He was the reason I bought a 12 string. He had two albums (vol.1 and 2) of traditional music like "Cottonfields", "Greenback Dollar", "Freight Train", and of course, "Wildwood Flower".

What I didn't realize at the time - he was only 10 years older than I. I believe he was a studio musician at the time.

Rest in peace Mr. Campbell. I can remember seeing him on the t.v. when I was a child. I remember a lot of variety shows on the the big three networks and he would be on as the mc or a performer. That guy wore some big lapels. I never connected with him but I do have some fond, distant memories of him like singing Rhinestone Cowboy in the car with the radio on.

If you have Netflix, take the time to watch James Keach's film "I'll Be Me" about Glen's last album and tour and struggles with Alzheimers. I agree with Alice Cooper's comments today that Glen was one of the five finest guitarists ever (he said that Eddy Van Halen wanted guitar lessons from Campbell). Watching the film, it shows how deep music is engrained on your mind. He couldn't find the bathroom in his own home but could still play the guitar like a virtuoso. Amazing talent - extraordinary voice. Springstein mentioned that Campbell had a purity of tone and simplicity of delivery with little embellishment but a depth of emotion.

Here is an excerpt of the film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn19PyYeop0

I'm on a bit of a Glen Campbell kick this week. This video of Glen singing the great Roy Orbison hit "Crying" is wonderful. He is surrounded by some of the great talents of the country scene like Chet Atkins, Roy Clark, Willy Nelson, Crystal Gayle, BJ Thomas, Lynn Anderson, and Waylon Jennings who are obviously in awe over his flawless rendition of one of the most challenging vocals ever. He nails it. Just look at the faces on Gayle and Anderson. Outstanding talent and performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYyd42O5jbg

Archived