Gibson Brands Forums

Mr. Crowley

Californiaman

I've seen a lot of great guitar players live in concert.

He's the best I've ever seen.

I saw him do more with a les Paul than I thought was possible.

He was also a master on the acoustic.

RIP RR

My guitar teacher taught me the Mr Crowley end solo note-for-note back in about 10th grade. msp_thumbup.gif

I still remember it mostly, but I've become a more bluesy/improv type player, so I could play it a lot better when I was 17 than I can now. rolleyes.gif

Randy Rhoads was one of my earliest influences when I was just starting to play guitar. I got my first electric guitar in 1979 and my friend got one shortly afterwards. I had an SG copy and he had a Hondo Les Paul copy. Together, we learned some songs. He had just gotten the Blizzard of Ozz album and told me about it. We took our guitars to his house and were listening to it and wow. That guy could PLAY! It was unlike anything we had ever heard. We'd heard Black Sabbath and Ozzy but this was a whole different level. We went to see Ozzy on the Blizzard tour and the Diary of a Madman tour and that inspired me even more to take lessons and really learn how to play. I practiced for hours a day, every day, learning everything I could from the Blizzard of Ozz album and the new Diary of a Madman album. I was devastated after Randy's death. My band played a few Ozzy songs, and I loved the ones from those two albums and by the mid-80's, I could play them pretty much note for note. When the live Tribute album came out, all those memories came back from seeing them in Indianapolis and I was inspired again to learn the live versions as well and incorporate the style on the live album when I played those songs. I even had my black Dixon Flying V decked out with polka dots (just the little paper stick on dots) for a while. I took some classical guitar lessons, bought some books, bought a classical guitar and started to learn classical guitar as well, once again inspired by Randy. I took some time and learned to play "Dee" as well and that's still one of my usual pieces I like to play.

It worked out pretty good for me, because we had recorded a live show and the versions we played of "I Don't Know" and "Mr. Crowley" were two of the songs I sent into Musician's Institute that got me accepted and placed into my class in 1989. I was sitting at home last night after picking up my old Marshall from being repaired and was playing along with "Revelation Mother Earth" which is one of my favorite songs by Randy to play. I like the mix of classical, fingerpicking and blazing solo.

I love listening to him play and especially watching live videos. The Les Paul looks HUGE on him but man, he can make that thing sing. Thank you for posting the videos. It brings back many fond memories of us sitting there working out "Crazy Train" and "I Don't Know" on our inexpensive copy guitars, sitting on the front porch with our little amps plugged in, terrorizing the neighborhood.

Randy is by far the top of my list and next to nobody else. His playing is the reason I survived through the dark times of my early teens and the number one reason i had hope enough to dedicate myself to music. Also why gibson les paul was always my first choice...Always wanted that alpine white custom with black pickguard. (yes it was alpine white originally).

Anyway here is Mr crowley guitar tracks only, and the intro keyboards.

It is very cool to hear.

Archived