Gibson Brands Forums

The Reverb guitar conundrum...

norcalpiper

As many of you probably do, I cruise Reverb at least once a day. My wish/watch list is massive...if only I had endless thousands.

Anyway, I've noticed that guitars start off priced at what they were bought for. After a month, it drops a little. It keeps dropping until it's around the 60-65% of what it was bought for. Then it sells. If it isn't dropped to that level, it seems to never sell. I'm sure there have been reasonable sales, but the ones I've monitored, you are never anywhere near the bought price. Which is good for buyer, but bad for seller.,.,not sure why I posted....just something I noticed.

I look at the issue of connecting a buyer to a seller or vice versa as a longshot. If a serious shopper stumbles on a guitar they really want to own and pays the price it throws off the market, but there is still a lot of impulse guitar buying out there. Breaking even is always a viable option. Here's a sale I'm counting on...

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1558.l2649

https://reverb.com/i...-blonde-natural

I sell on Reverb regularly.

Though, I have seldom gotten my original asking price. I always accept offers and/or drop my price by a hundred bucks or more in order to sell... but I always sell! Just sold two guitars in the past month, alone.

Sometimes I have to wait a month or so before my items sell... sometimes, I sell within a week.... and other times, I have to wait over a year—which was the case most recently. Basically, both the seller and potential buyer need to be patient.

Not sure if this added anything to your thread... but, I felt like sharing. [biggrin]

The second hand guitar market is interesting as many guitars have many owners over the years but their value is difficult to assess. Certainly if your asking price doesn't sell then you must reduce quickly as your first loss is your best loss.

There are often two asking prices, one being an artificial price asked by a buyer and then picked up by other sellers based on the 'I'll sell if I can get that price' scenario. At this situation nothing happens until one seller breaks loose and the price starts falling until it reaches the price it should have been in the first place.

It is interesting that there seems to be less and less guitars on offer via auction these days.

Archived