Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions on this Les Paul Custom

donniecrump

I am looking at buying this Les Paul Custom but with all of the counterfeit stuff out there I wanted to get another set of eyes.

They say it is a 2002 custom in mint condition. The serial number seems to check out for a 2002. 03122303.

I don't see anything that makes me think this is bogus. Thoughts? I am probably being overly cautious but if I am going to drop 2700 I like to double check things.

Les Paul on Reverb.com

Thanks in advance,

Donnie

Guest Farnsbarns

Looks genuine. The description, however, may have been lifted from a different era. No richlite fretboards in 2002.

Also, I'm pretty confident that EMGs have never been standard but the description seems to imply that they were.

I also think a 2002 custom would be all mahogany, with no maple cap?

Lastly, just in case you're not aware, a custom back then was a USA model, unlike today when they are actually made in the custom shop. Don't take new prices as an indicator for new prices. Gibson USA then Vs custom shop now.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah .. to my knowledge Richlite didn't come along until 2012'ish and the EMG's are not standard. The bonus is I am working on a LP for a friend and he wants EMG's.

Do you know if the neck widths change from 1990 to 2002 on the customs? I have a 1992 custom and the neck width is perfect. I am selling a 2013 LP because the neck is too wide. I have small hands like a raccoon.

Looks genuine. The description, however, may have been lifted from a different era. No richlite fretboards in 2002.

Also, I'm pretty confident that EMGs have never been standard but the description seems to imply that they were.

I also think a 2002 custom would be all mahogany, with no maple cap?

Lastly, just in case you're not aware, a custom back then was a USA model, unlike today when they are actually made in the custom shop. Don't take new prices as an indicator for new prices. Gibson USA then Vs custom shop now.

I thought all Customs since the very early ones had maple caps?

To the OP it looks legit to me. Good looking Custom.

The reason I think it's real is that from looking at the pic of the back of the headstock, you can see how badly the tuners have been lined up.

This is typical Gibson - a fake would have them lined up much better....!

I have a LP Custom. Superb guitars.

Good luck with it.

The reason I think it's real is that from looking at the pic of the back of the headstock, you can see how badly the tuners have been lined up.

This is typical Gibson - a fake would have them lined up much better....!

[lol] [lol] [lol]

I thought all Customs since the very early ones had maple caps?...

Usually but not always.

There have been various versions released with all-mahogany body construction over the years but these were / are special-runs (and, of course, on the appropriate re-issues). My guess is that it will have the far more commonly found maple-cap-over-mahogany construction as stated in the ad.

The terrible install on the tuners is one thing that worries me.

With all due respect; why?

If it sounds good, plays good, feels good and is priced attractively why let such a small (IMO) detail cloud the issue? The instrument pictured is in great nick for a 15-y-o guitar and left-hand Customs aren't exactly ten-a-penny. It will also have an ebony 'board....

OK; it's not impressive that such a simple thing has been done badly but they can only be seen to be squint from the back (by nerds like us) and they will still work properly. Tuner line-up must be pretty near the very bottom on my list of priorities when deciding whether or not to buy a guitar. I seriously doubt I ever even looked at any of mine prior to purchase.

YMMV, of course.

Pip.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived