Gibson Brands Forums

Shadow pickups

Jinder

Hi All,

I'm currently in Croatia on some tour management/guitar tech work. The artist I'm TMing/Teching for had some drama when we landed yesterday-the airline lost his J45...we've had a long day trying to track it down but to no avail yet.

As such, the festival organisers have hired an Epi EJ200CE for us to use. At soundcheck just now, I was literally ASTONISHED at how great this guitar sounded. The artist in question tunes down a whole step, and the Baggs Element in his J45 tends to fart a bit with the downtuned 13s on it, but the EJ200 just sounds warm and huge. It has the Nanoflex/Nanomag blend pickup and is an incredible sounding guitar for the money.

Has anyone else had good results with Shadow pickups? I have a Nanoflex in my Texan and it's pretty good, especially through my Aura 16.

Jinder-my Masterbilt Olympic has the Shadow Nanoflex pickup in it. It sounds great! As referenced in our prior communication about the Ollympic, I do find that if I use it through my amp, it needs a bit of power boost between the guitar and the amp, I use a LPB1 pedal between the guitar and amp and its sound is wonderful. When I plug the guitar directly into my 600 Watt PA, no power boost pedal is need as my PA can more than amp It up directly. Through the PA directly it sounds awesome! I used my full PA at an outdoor fundraiser gig this past Sunday where I was able to really let the OIympic's Shadow Nanoflex stretch out sonically and volume wise. I am a fan of the Shadow pickup!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Not to beat a dead horse, from a previous thread - but this indicates to me why the Top 3 Makers, and others, will focus on building guitars that are good platforms for electronic sounds.

Adolescents today will not care tomorrow about the difference in sound between a guitar with rosewood b/s as opposed to mahogany. They won't even care if it's made of wood, as long as its 'looks' fit the package they and their record company are marketing.Television Ads for the CMAs next week flash a 2 second shot of each of the performers. Of approximately 10 of them, the majority do not even have a guitar.

Apologies to the OP, not intending to hijack this thread.

Archived